Worried about flashing installation?

Had flashing installed to fix a leak on the left side of the house above the window. Water was leaking between the brick and vapor barrier. The leak on the left side above the window was much worse after the first installation. We’ve had the roofers return 4 more times to address the leak on the left; they added lots of caulk/sealant and an additional piece of metal kicking out from the wall where the gutter is. A short while ago, we had a brief, but hard rain, and it’s still pretty damp back where the water dripped between the brick and vapor barrier.

We had flashing installed on the right side too. (I’m really kicking myself now for allowing this installation in the first place since there wasn’t a leak previously, oh well.) There’s now new ceiling stains on this other (right) side, and I can see in the attic where it was getting wet from a previous rain.

We’re concerned how long this is going to hold up, even after the workers came for the 5th time to address the leak that was created on the right side by adding more silicone, and the left side is still getting pretty damp inside. Surely we’re right to be concerned? We’re still fairly new to the world of home-ownership, and I’ve posted links to images of the work below.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Flashing Right Side
Flashing Left Side 1

Looks like what you should be kicking yourself for is hiring that roofer. That’s not proper flashing technique on masonry.

1 Like

Dad’s right, sad job. The real question is what is going on around the corner where you cant see…

1 Like

I’d like to see what’s above that flashing. It appears you have a “dead valley” behind those brick walls. If so, that’s the likely cause of your issues all along.

Thank you all greatly for the replies! I just went up and took some more pictures of the work from behind.

[https://imgur.com/a/7HZO4uj](More Pics)

just ask them to install metal pan in valley all the way up with no shingles above it.

Shoot the architect ….

2 Likes

Two dead valleys and the roofers who dont know how to deal with it.
I use Ice and water shield Covering all valley and up the wall, then 26 g rolled steel valley metal , then modified bitumen in my dead valleys Going up the walls and extending A wing past that corner of the wall So all the water doesnt drain at the corner.
It drains a few inches past the corner.

I would install No shingles on top of this material in the dead valley.
It shouldnt be a cosmetic issue if it is done right.
The modified bitumen granule would match the shingle granule.

This need redone by another roofer. Anyone who thought that was the proper fix to your problem lacks the skills and knowledge to actually perform a proper repair.

Dead valleys are where very large amounts of water are funneled into a small area, they are a side effect poor design. They require the more skill to make leak free than other roof areas.

1 Like

Btw a proper repair this this area will not be cheap. If it was me doing this entire roof from the start I would likely have more time invested in those 2 dead valleys than the entire rest of the roof.