Why is IB so much more expensive than other PVC options?

Getting bids for residential flat roof replacement in Seattle
3 IB
2 Versico
1 Weatherbond

IB products are the top three $$$

Search on this forum and others mention versico as an “over the counter” or “retail” choice (???)
I see lots of posts touting the long term durability of IB, but is the cost difference something other than this durability factor?
Mention of IB only using certified installers?
Or is it the lifetime warranty?

Bids all have similar other features for underlayment and fastening

thanks in advance

[quote=“takeback”]Getting bids for residential flat roof replacement in Seattle
3 IB
2 Versico
1 Weatherbond

IB products are the top three $$$

Search on this forum and others mention versico as an “over the counter” or “retail” choice (???)
I see lots of posts touting the long term durability of IB, but is the cost difference something other than this durability factor?
Mention of IB only using certified installers?
Or is it the lifetime warranty?

Bids all have similar other features for underlayment and fastening

thanks in advance[/quote]

IB is a better product installed by factory trained technicians and is warrantied by IB.

This would be my guess.

Get an estimate for some Sarnifil.

WB and Versico are the same base product. Versico has NDL warranties to 30 years for approved applicators. WB has a lifetime warranty and Approved and Non Approved Applicators. The quality of both are equal to IB. IB applicators are no more trained than either of the other brands.

Donny is exactly right on the training of installers. That certified installers training is a joke! You’ve been to one/you’ve been to them all. I figured you’ld be able to purchase Ib for less since they’re in your area. I guess I’m wrong. Versico Versiweld is a nice product as well. I’ve installed tons of it. Its owned by one of the big manufacturer’s, Carlilse or Firestone.

thanks for the replies

the numbers on my bids
WB 15,800
Versico 17,200, 18,500
IB 20,600, 24,500, 24,800

These all include 2" polyiso

I am going to ask the companies point blank why the price difference

from what you guys say I don’t hear a compelling reason unless it’s all in what they sell as the quality of the install crew

2’’ Isoboard is very expensive. Along with the longer screws. Why not go with 1/2’’ Isoguard or 1/2’’ Densdeck? That will cut down the price along with needing less nailer thickness on the edges & less of a face on the edge metal profile. Have them all sharpen their pencils on this one & think outside the box. That’s what I do for my customer’s.

I’m always confused as to why people want PVC or TPO on their residential project… Go EPDM; particularly if you’re looking to keep costs down. If you have heavy foot traffic, toss a deck or paver system on top. Keep in mind that many of the “commercial” manufacturer’s DO NOT extend their warrant’s to residential projects or to projects under a certain size, so check this carefully before you choose a product due to it’s warranty merits.

He can also shave his costs way down by going with a mechanically attached system instead of fully adhered. Or like Tarmonkey said, do a loose layed system with pavers on it.

I’ve always wondered if people really did go the mechanically attached route on residential.
It’s usually so small it doesn’t make a difference.

Ax, I throw down a lot of m/a roof systems on triple decker rental units in Massachusetts. Damn slum lords don’t want to invest in rental properties. So I give them fanfold for insul, factory 2nds for rubber, & termbar. You get what you pay for, they love it!

Of my exp. with Single-ply i prefer fully adhered method Only and densDeck over ISO-foam Only. EPDM-should spend more for labor hours, but not req. Expansive tools, PVC- pay much more for material , TPO - is easy to sale and more friendly for me. Even chip roof : 1" iso /45 TPO Fully adhered Will much better when any chip mod.bit roof

Yes, TPO is a little more than EPDM. For example a 5 sq. roll of EPDM is $300 vs. a 5 sq. roll of TPO is $400. Not much of a difference. The labor kills you on TPO, it takes so long to hand weld everything. With the pressure sensitive products EPDM offers its just lick it & stick it.

EPDM will last longer than TPO also.

Depending on the climate. If the h.o. is up north he should go with EPDM, if he’s in Arizona or NM he should go with TPO.

Thanks for the continued replies
The bids are all for mechanically fastened systems

FWIW my research suggests that PVC is superior to TPO and EPDM long term.

It still seems unclear why IB is so much more expensive aside from the warranty.
All roofers I have spoken to- IB and Versico- say that their install crews are manufacturer certified.
Versico offers a 20 yr warranty on the product for 80 mil (15 yr for 60)

Other than that I don’t hear anyone saying that versico’s PVC product will fail prematurely- or is that only because there is no data on that yet?

I’ve had good luck with Versico on commercial applications. Do they offer a residential warranty?