Which shingle do you recommend?

[quote=“RooferJ”]IKO is well known for not making good on warranty claims, and yes there are a lot.
In New England they are strictly an economy shingle used by low end builders.
Although I did kinda like there Royal Victorian shingle but the problem was it was only a 25 year warranty, most roofers in these parts hate metric shingle and really dont give a crap about the less nails.

RooferJim[/quote]

Hmm i never new that.
I like em still.

My roofs start with Winterguard, Roofers Sellect, and Landmarks.

Not a big fan of h/o’s picking out and supplying shingles.

If Landmarks were not an option Timberline’s would have to work but I’d not want to lay them as slivers are always a problem on the 1-2 roofs I install with them per year.

I would rather tear off than run most laminate shingles on the market today.

Forgot to mention I do a 30 year labor warranty for the h/o if they stay in the house the duration and a 10 year transferable.

Been Certified by Certainteed for a year now and have yet to use one of the 16 per year free warranties.

The builders will not complain since there warranty is only 1 year. Those shingles here in michigan have a life span of about 12 years on a 30 year shingle. ANd iko is nice enough to give you 450 dollars on a roof worth 4500. That company is a joke. ANd under any circumstances will i ever lay one. They are just junk. But i have to thank them for all the business. Thats about all that they are good for.

Guys, this thread was about which shingle you like the best, not the one you hate the most! This topic has been hijacked by IKO haters! :smiley:

i like tar…and lots of it :smiley:

Certainteed

GAF is my first shingle of choice… then Certainteed. Kinda like how the are in regards to size.

I’m an IKO company hatter for the cheap shingles and also an IKO thanker for all the $$ they have put in my pocket on the tearoffs we do each and every day due to such a crappy product.

still like the cambridge. The laminate is huge. No blow off around here.
Nice pallette of colars.

IKO came into the northeast about 15 years ago,already most suppliers have got rid of them. We will use them once in a blue moon but try not too.
We were the first company in Massachusetts to be a GAF master elite contracor in 97 when the program started and use them for most of our reroofing business.Certainteed is also very good and has good custumer support. I do like there specialty shingles,
we do a lot of historic restoration and the Grand Manor and the like are a good fit for a decent price.
its nice to have a lot of options.

RooferJim
GAF ME-00058

[quote=“RooferJ”]IKO came into the northeast about 15 years ago,already most suppliers have got rid of them. We will use them once in a blue moon but try not too.
We were the first company in Massachusetts to be a GAF master elite contracor in 97 when the program started and use them for most of our reroofing business.Certainteed is also very good and has good custumer support. I do like there specialty shingles,
we do a lot of historic restoration and the Grand Manor and the like are a good fit for a decent price.
its nice to have a lot of options.

RooferJim
GAF ME-00058[/quote]

Its this kind of stuff i like to hear.
This is the kind of stuff i need to know if im gonna stay in business.

CertainTeed

• a female roofer

A builder I subbed from a few years back only stocked IKO Cambridge and Dynasty laminates. Did three roofs with the Cambridge and one with the Dynasty and thought all four were good roofs. The Cambridge are longer than the Landmarks If I remember so they are even faster to install.

Only call back I got was on the 65sq 10/12 which had five ridge cap blow off. The house next door lost it’s attached garage so five ridge wasn’t too bad! BTW, didn’t like the ridge with the Dynasty, reminded me of the Elk Z ridge, very poor tar design.

just goes to show you, nation wide cheap builders gravitate to IKO. Does any professional roofer really recommend IKO for there customers ?

gaf

Certainteed, GAF, Tamko are your best bet.http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/5195/Metro_Logo_-Good.JPG

how come i see not 1 person recommends elk?

Elk will be gone very soon. GAF is only keeping the ELk name for a year tops. Its too bad ,but the way of the world.

so you’re saying the present elk is the same quality as gaf correct? i’ve read nothing but rave reviews on elk products. also i see very few people use corning

I personally do not like Elk. Doesn’t make 'em bad.
I like the Capstone best for what I’ve put on.
We did PI’s last year. Flimsy, dried up junk if you ask me. And the cap was pitiful. But that could be just cause of what my suppler sent me.
Capstone as I stated is a SWEET shingle.
Also, the bundles of Prestiques always had way too much shake in 'em. Made for a slippery, messy roof.