Which contractor would you choose?

A little update as I’ve spoken to a couple of the people.

Roofer 1 - said the Golden Pledge Warranty is only good for lifetime shingles (approx $3500 more).
He is supplying 7 yr labour warranty.
He did mention that the 3 tab over the ridge would probably last 12yrs, so Timbertex is definately the way I’m leaning. His price would then be $14998.

The roofer who offered Certainteed Landmark and was the highest quote at $15,500, said his quote was for 3 tab. He offered an upgrade to Timbertex for the same price. Also he would include installation of soffit vents every 5 feet on the sides of the house that was lacking. He did mention before he normally charges $15 per vent, and I figured there would be around 12-15. He says it will be a four day job.

They both used the proper starter. I’m learning to ask the right questions.

[quote=“susieq”]A little update as I’ve spoken to a couple of the people.

Roofer 1 - said the Golden Pledge Warranty is only good for lifetime shingles (approx $3500 more).
[/quote]

golden pledge works with any shingles…i think $3500 is steep. i would charge more like $800-$1500 for it. Basically it will cost $12 per square to register it and he must use system components that he is currently not including.

Update from roofer number 3

Will use painted drip edge
Still using 4 nails per shingle, nailed on nail line
Install new flashings etc
Does not like Cobra ridge vent and recommends Lomanco or Air ridge Vent.
Quote included Z ridge - not sure if that is on all hips as he mentions smooth ridge in 7 sections.
He is not using any 3 tabs as starter or on ridge.

Any comments on the ridge vent recommendations ??
I do need something to maximize exhaust like 18inch lnr ft.

At his price of $12,090 he is much more reasonable.

on pitches 12/12 and 16/12 have them nail 6 nails per shingle. shingle over vent on a 16/12 may have trouble bending over the peak. may have to use off ridge vents. and still cant get over that price. in florida it woul be more like at least $22,000.

GAF/Elk Timberline Prestique High Definition is still Elk’s shingle. Elk’s colors, Elk’s factory, Elk’s seal strip, Elk’s people.
There is not a difference between the old Elk and the new GAF/Elk.

The GAF/Elk Natural Shadow is the “Timberline” from before the Elk buyout.

All shingle mfr’s have some sort of problem at some point.

But, the fact cant be denied that Certainteed has way more class action lawsuits!

I can’t get over those prices either…In P.A. lowballers would be at 22-24k and they would high nail and give a tail light warrantee at that,lol…also 6 nails on that pitch…and Marshall is correct about the Golden Pledge…You HAVE to use all the components, Starter shingles,Shingle Mate paper,and 6 nails(all on the line!)and Timber tex cap!If your roofers are charging that much for upgrades,that just shows that they are using the cheapest felt,and cap,and whatever they can get their hands on…I’d look at the bundle wrappers to see when the shingles where manufactured,they may have been in the back of a warehouse for 10 yrs,lol…I did a roof for a builder , and he got a deal on certainteeds 40 yr…They never sealed, and they were dated 2002,this was last fall! The owner is not happy…House took 56 sq. and 6 sq cap…all 10/12-12/12 they flutter in the wind,lol…Rep said to hand seal them…LOL o.k. you crawl around on 56 sq 12 pitch…w/ 20 cases of Black jack…

[quote=“MAYNIAC”]GAF/Elk Timberline Prestique High Definition is still Elk’s shingle. Elk’s colors, Elk’s factory, Elk’s seal strip, Elk’s people.
There is not a difference between the old Elk and the new GAF/Elk.

The GAF/Elk Natural Shadow is the “Timberline” from before the Elk buyout.

All shingle mfr’s have some sort of problem at some point.

But, the fact cant be denied that Certainteed has way more class action lawsuits![/quote]

not exactly true

they kept about 50% from each manufacture

and they are not all from elk plants. my old and new shingles all still come from myerstown, pa.

Marshall, Did you here that they may close down Meyerstown plant? That is the rumor from my supplier.
I like the fact that they are basically Elk shingles… I never really sold any of the old Tims., only did 1 or 2 new const. jobs that builder supplied them. I tore off 40 yr Tims. That were all cracking…8yrs old…I have seen elks that were 30 yrs old on a guys house that were just starting to wear,and crack, and he said that they were 40 yr elks…He will call me back in 10 yrs,lol,even though he needs new roof now,lol

i know your close to the border, susieq,
but 200 a sq for a 2 story 12 whatever is just to cheap.

gweedo.

Susie:

I replied to your message, but I don’t know if it went through. Let me know, alright?

[quote=“jwoolfsroofing”]Marshall, Did you here that they may close down Meyerstown plant? That is the rumor from my supplier.
[/quote]

ohhhhhh…for the love of god…say it aint so…i cant take any more good news from the manufactures this year!! :cry:

if i’m not mistaken are those guys strip / drive’n a roof for 212 a sq? here in pittsburgh the trash and materials are about 140 per sq wtf is going on? i would rather check just to see if their even insured sheesh? no way they have comp maybe general liability that just doesn’t sound right those prices are obsurd? 19800 would be a fair price anything else is very low do the math your self on the material and garbage and ask if you would do it for that much figure in 25 an hr for mechanics and about 15 an hr for laborers

Welcome to Texas! Yes, those are for real numbers, but you have to remember everything is relative. For example, I live in a $225K house, that would be worth around $750K or more in Northern Virginia. So, everything is cheaper down here in Texas, including the pay. It is one of those deals where most of you guys probably make more money that I do, but my money goes much further which allows me to live better on less.

Why are we rehashing old posts???