What qualifies as 2nd Story?

In your experience how do insurance companies qualify something as two story? Is it a height from the ground? How about higher roof lines on a gable off of a steep hip? For instance, this home has cornice returns at three different levels. Hover pics them up the two sets that are higher than the first as 2nd and 3rd story. I know there isnt anything as a 3rd story charge but curious as to what the guidelines might be in your eyes.
Another example is where the front of house might be 1 story but with a walkout basement on the backside so you have 2nd story on the backside. Thanks!2ndstory

I’d classify that house as all (1) story. From an insurance perspective a (2) story area is likely determined by the height of the gutter edge or eaves of any given roof slope. If any given slope is 15’ or greater from ground level to the gutter edge or eaves you can look at it as 2 story.

RFG HIGH charges should apply to any slope where the eaves are 2nd story access. Period.

Thank you AD and LRChris for your replies. Much appreciated. I also have a question as to high charges on taller metal buildings. Even though a structure might not be 2nd story should insurance pay high charges for anything over 15-16 feet high? I know different companies might have different guidelines but was wondering what you have seen out there.

Technically, anything over 13 to 14 feet is second story. That’s the most a 17 foot ladder can access legally based on OSHA requirements.

High charges are about loss of productivity. Obviously, it takes more time to remove materials, load materials and for the crew members to climb up to higher elevations and they need to be compensated for it.

1 Like

Thank you again AD - Appreciate it!