What is this flashing called?

What is the correct name for this “diverter” installed at the bottom of a valley?

  • Thanks

thats not a roof part. its a gutter part. i think i would call it a “water diverter” but i dont know if there is a tedchnical term. i dont know if you can buy them. my gutter guy makes them from a scrap piece of gutter.

WOW! That gutter is low! Better add one of them things all the way !!

I don’t know if there is a “correct” term, but it’s called a splash guard in my neck of the woods.

I have heard them referred to as;

Splash Guard
Rain Diverer
Water Diverter

Each of these names can be found on various guttering sites.


Splash guard.

a diverter

Right On twill59


It’s interesting to me that so many roofers here see the “gutter guy” as a separate trade, around here (Chicago) many residential roofers also install gutters. Unfortunately in my area I see many serious problems which result from failure to think about what happens to the water beyond the drip edge. Here’s one example:

Gutter Problems and Wet Basements and Crawl Spaces – Paragon Inspections Evanston / Chicago Ill

Does anyone have a good picture of how water control at this valley should have been done?

The least objectionable solution might have been to install a section of valley metal, even if only installed under the shingles at the very base of the valley, which transcends the gap at that inside corner. The bottom left section of the metal could have shed the water flowage onto the top of the shingles on the lower roof elevation, thereby allowing the valley run off to disperse into the lower roofs gutter.

Another method, which may have limitations, due to the potential for creating an additional blockage, especially in the Chicago winter conditions, would have been to break a piece of white aluminum as an “L” shaped flashing. Nail the shorter portion under the shingles on the rake/gable edge of the roof section thar has the valley and allow the slightly higher portion to extend above the roof line. This too, could be extended onto the lower roof on top of the shingles to divert the water into that lower gutter.

Sometimes, you just have to play around with several different options for the solution to see which one will work out best, primarily for function, but aesthetics too. Function before form, in my opinion.



& I’m going to possibly be getting into the gutter biz with a guy who I’ve been referring; I will (obviously) work more as a salesperson & forwarding on my drawings & photos to him for verification of my pricing. As it is, I haven’t been taking advantage of an elevated price, just giving them a rough figure that was (on purpose) a bit high so that when he actually goes out to do a bid, his price is coming out lower… thereby giving him a better opportunity @ the job.

Thanks. I didn’t make any recommendation about how to fix it, but I was curious about how experienced roofers would go about it. The suggestion of an extension makes sense to be as it’s less likely to ice-clog in my climate that a diverter or “kickout” of some kind; next time I’m out that way I’ll take a look and see what (if anything) was done.

Well Michael,

I deal with weather anomolies all of the time. My shop is in Carpentersville, which is right by Elgin, so I actually personally experience the same weather conditions on roofs that you see.