What happens if I decide not to replace roof after hail?

Hello,

Insurance adjustor come and inspected my roof after recent hail storm and informed me that entire roof needs to be replaced. I don’t see any damage personally with my naked eye and the only indication of damage for me was one shingle I found on the ground. My question is what exactly might happen if I decide not replace roof? Or what would happen if I decide to postpone replacement for say a year just in case another hail storm will come and I would have to pay deductible twice?

Thanks,
G

From my experience once you have a claim filed then its filed.I am not to sure about any take backs or timeouts.Most claims have a limit of 180days(6mos) for the repairs to be made.If they are not made then you need to show cause.

Depending on the size and density of the hail your roof could fall into an accelerated rate of damage.Meaning lots of leaks.I am not sure about if the insurance company would cover further damage if you decided to wait for repairs for the initial claim.

I have never heard of a double deductible once the claim has been filed.Sorta like double jeapordy.If no other storms happen.If in the event a tornado or basketball size hail or any other hail hit your roof and caused interior damage then yes a new deductible will be added to another claim.

here is what can happen:

You lose the depreciation forever. So when you DO decide to replace the roof, you are out of pocket that amount.

Your roof, and anything under it that gets damaged from a leak, is completely uninsured. if another storm comes along, and blows half of your shingles off in 6 months, they come out and find that you have the old shingles on, then they dont pay you any more money, because they already paid to replace it.

and you dont see any damage? not surprising. you arent a roofer, or knowledgeable in what damage looks like. so dont feel bad.

if i took my Rolex in for service, and they told me there was damage to the inside, and if i didnt fix it, my $10,000 watch would soon either stop working, or possibly tell me the wrong time every day, making me late for appointments, and costing me money in other ways… well, i’d probably leave it to the experts and have them fix it.

besides… if you REALLY didnt have any damage, dont you think that the insurance company, who is ONLY out to make money, and save themselves money, would be so easy to offer to pay for you to get a brand new roof?

seriously?

Geeez Jason a Rolex? Seriously? I feel inferior.Hahahahaha

[quote=“Roofmaster417”]

Geeez Jason a Rolex? Seriously? I feel inferior.Hahahahaha[/quote]

2 tone submariner. had it several years. its just a watch, and was a poor decision at the time, but whats nice about Rolex, is you can almost always get out of it what you paid for it (or more).

Let’s look at the worst case scenario. Let’s say you decide to pocket the ACV money and walk away from the recoverable depreciation you are due when the work is complete. Now let’s say a couple of months from now, you go away for a week on vacation and return home to find a leak developed literally flooding your house. Tens of thousands of drywall, paint, flooring, etc… And it happened on the day you left so it sat there for a week and mold developed. You could be looking at upwards of $50,000 to restore you home, fix the mold problem and temporarily house your family in an apartment while the repairs are taking place. There is a very good chance the insurance would say that’s your problem as you failed to replace the roof with the claim money they gave you.

Now, you didn’t supply all the data regarding your situation. Perhaps you have a roof that is a 30 year dimensional shingle and the hail was rather light causing very minimal damage. And perhaps your financial situation is such that you are in dire straights and need that insurance money to keep going. If that begins to describe your situation, perhaps you take the risk and keep the roof. But in general, without knowing everything about your specific situation, the advice you’ve previously received on this thread is sound, you should find a quality roofer and have the roof replaced 100%.

I’ve been on a few roofs where you could not find hail damage w/ a magnifying glass. I told 'em if you get a check, then hang onto the money.

As roofing prices have risen faster than the stock market, it was costly advice. Damned if you do or don’t.

Bottom line: Wait out the storm chasers and do the job in a year or 2

I’ve seen several roofs last several years after golf ball sized hail “damaged” them.

I did a roof in 06 with non impact resistant shingles that got nailed with 2 inch hail which put large dents in every metal vent and several holes in the vinyl siding. The shingles showed no sign of damage. I have looked at the roof 3 times in 3 years and still don’t see any damage.

I am with Jason and Dad, and I am not buying into waiting at all.

I do not know what you mean by ‘you can’t see the damage’, but I doubt the roof was replaced if you can’t see the damage on the roof. Maybe you can’t see it on the ground…

The other thing that will happen to you, if you wait, is that the insurer will cancel you. I have heard that is known by other insurers, but I can’t say that for sure.

If you didn’t want your roof replaced, you should not have filed the claim. You will not win, long term, by pocketing the money.

I have been on roofs that adjusters bought for hail damage with NO hail damage. My thoughts are due to over eager adjusters on fairly new roofs figuring the hail will show it’s mark down the road.

Been on several roofs right after a hail storm and only see damge to the metal. Months later you see hits all over the shingles.

To the OP, to an untrained eye hail damage is tough at times to spot. If it’s 3+in hail on a white roof it’s hard to miss! Or the 5.25in hail that hit in parts of Topeka Kansas today.

[quote=“lybrand”]Hello,

Insurance adjustor come and inspected my roof after recent hail storm and informed me that entire roof needs to be replaced. I don’t see any damage personally with my naked eye and the only indication of damage for me was one shingle I found on the ground. My question is what exactly might happen if I decide not replace roof? Or what would happen if I decide to postpone replacement for say a year just in case another hail storm will come and I would have to pay deductible twice?

Thanks,
G[/quote]

Short answer…is that they will not pay for the roof again. Technically, what will happen is they will write up a new estimate if there’s new damage in the future totaling the roof. Then they will deduct that total from the total of your last claim. You’ll still have another deductible because each claim has it’s own deductible. Typically, all homeowner’s policies have a 2 year replacement time frame from the date of loss (at least the insurance company I work for does).

To add on a little bit to what I was saying… What happens is, you get an ACV (actual cash value) check for the first payment. This is the initial check to get started on the work. It is a depreciated amount based upon the age and condition of the items affected. You get the second check RCB (replacement cost benefits, if your policy has this) once the work is done. Again, most homeowners policies have a 2 year time frame to get that second check. Check with your agent or insurance company if you’re not sure. There’s no problem in waiting a year to get the work done. Just make sure you get it done within the time frame your policy has to get that second check. The time frame starts on the date of loss. Not when the adjuster came out to look at your home.

actually, MOST insurance companies only give you 180 days to get the repairs done, unless it is a cat situation, where some companies will extend that for UP TO two years. but very few have a 2 year limit built in, on a non cat-situation

I’m with Jason. Insurers used to give a year, and it is now 6 months.

Also, I learned today that Xactimate knows full well that they are under the gun big time over their absurdly low pricing. The biggest roofer in our area (top 10 in the country) has not even begun to work this storm (other than just taking calls). They will wait another 6 weeks. That is telling me that prices are getting ready to go up.

Once I can get fair payment for roofs I get in 6 weeks, I will sure not want to take a low ball insurance estimate from today. I hate to say that waiting blows up in your face almost every time.

I have a question on this topic, but it’s a little left. We just purchased a house 1 month ago and have discovered today by way of a professional roofing company that our roof is shot. There was a major hail storm in the neighborhood last summer and most of the neighbors houses had to have new roofs. At that time this house was a rental. Also, the home inspector missed it. There is no mention in the inspection of any hail damage. When I told the contractor this, he was amazed it could have been missed because it is so obvious.

What’s my move? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Jake