What flashing do I need for roof to wall stucco?

I want to stucco a gable on the house.
The stucco will be applied directly over the wood siding after removing the vertical wood strips.

currently, there is shingle and a piece of flashing at the bottom of the wood siding.

I know the stucco should be 1.5" away from the roof.

Assuming the next owner wants to put tile, or keep the shingle, what kind of flashing do I need where the stucco meets the roof ?
Can someone provide a link to the flashing I need ?
Do I nail it directly to the wood siding, letting it hang off the siding?

see pic…

ust standard ‘termination’ flashing, and wind clips to hold it down.[attachment=1]Slate Installation Termination Flashing.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Slate Installation Termination Flashing (2).jpg[/attachment]

on my own house, I have stucco which ends at a z-bar counter flashing before hitting the tile roof.

for this house, can I use a z-bar behind the new stucco at the bottom of the gable near the shingles?

is the z-bar nailed to the wall ? or is it freely moveable ?

5x7 L-flashing just like Tinner said. Yes, nail it to the wall but nail it high. No nails on roof side hide away clips like Tinner said.

We use Menzies Metal wall flashing. It’s 3" up the wall and 4" on the roof. It comes in 4 colors and pre-bent for a 4/12.
Nail it to the wall and clip it to the roof as Tinner suggested.

3x4 is small for a stucco wall, you gotta figure for prepwire, basecoat, & maybe a couple layers of stucco. you want to leave the bottom flange accessable to future roof work if need be.

I don’t think I’m understanding you correcty. Stucco (up here anyway) starts 1.5" - 2" up from the bend in the flashing, and they use a starter trim that gets nailed through the flashing into the wall. They then set their cage into that starter trim and away they go.
The bottom part of the wall flashing is always accessible.

Ya, but what if the use somekind of insul board first over the siding, then prepwire, & etc.? Im just saying bigger might be better in this case just incase of future roofing needs.

menzies pre made metal suxs, why we bend our own, and usually its 3" up wall and 5" onto roof but we will custom for each job.

Any certain reason why Menzies metal is inferior?

Standard stock is black, brown, charcoal and white and 30ga.
Besides that, Menzies custom cuts any colour, any guage to any pitch.

[quote=“link626”]I want to stucco a gable on the house.
The stucco will be applied directly over the wood siding after removing the vertical wood strips.

currently, there is shingle and a piece of flashing at the bottom of the wood siding.

I know the stucco should be 1.5" away from the roof.

Assuming the next owner wants to put tile, or keep the shingle, what kind of flashing do I need where the stucco meets the roof ?
Can someone provide a link to the flashing I need ?
Do I nail it directly to the wood siding, letting it hang off the siding?

see pic…[/quote]

Yes, use Z-bar, but it would be best to take off the siding first IMHO.

That’s one crappy spec! It guides the water straight past the roof and directly onto the underlay which is full of holes from the roof material.

Of course, this is not exactly his situation. He is talking headwall, so the headwall flashing should be over the roofing material. The Z-bar allows for the proper installation of different types of flashing for different styles of roofing. I wasnt preaching this spec, just illustrating Z-bar for him. I believe dat was the ?

[quote=“hotlanta”]

Of course, this is not exactly his situation. He is talking headwall, so the headwall flashing should be over the roofing material. The Z-bar allows for the proper installation of different types of flashing for different styles of roofing. I wasnt preaching this spec, just illustrating Z-bar for him. I believe dat was the ?[/quote]

You’re right hotatlanta. I was overlooking the OP’s question and ignoring the location of the Z-bar in the spec you showed.
And I know you just posted a archy’s spec because I see that all the time, and I’m sure it’s not your spec. No roofer worth his salt specs that.

There still is no need for what your calling z bar, we call it shelf metal or counter flashing up here. If you use l flashing slightly bent to your roof pitch with a few inches on the roof & several inches up the wall they can bury it & stucco right over it. Ask your stucco guy, he`ll know. Unless you are your stucco guy. We call z bar the reciever you install on a metal roof to slide your hip & ridge cap onto.

BTW, The bottom flange should be ontop of the shingles like Tinners photo. Unlike that drawing shows them underneath the shingles.

As you can see in the spec, that is called z-bar. It is just a reciever type flashing installed to allow completion of all other trade work before the roofing is installed. I have not installed many metal roofs, so could be called the same, as it would be a reciever as well.
I use it mostly on slate, tile, and shakes. Sidewall step flashing should be installed as the roofing is. Headwall preflash is a piece of cake. More than 30 years ago I worked for an old time builder who insisted its use on all of his new construction shingle roofs. No I dont do stucco but I have a guy that works for me that could, is that close enough.

I do stucco and roofing . Send me a pm . I cant attach a picture