Water leaked into home during Reroof job

During reroof in FL, water from serious storm leaked down into multiple rooms. Entered through lighting, vents, ceiling speaker and ceiling fans. Two inches water in one of the buckets. Roofer had no tarps on site, wasn’t watching the radar.
What should I the homeowner do? Who pays for inspection in attic to check for pooling, insulation integrity, wood, etc.? How liable is the contractor?

This why legit contractors carry plenty of liability ins. It’s on him to make things right.

Call your insurance company. Make sure they know it wan’t your fault and have them contact the roofer. If the roofer took off the old roof and didn’t cover the roof he is in trouble.

The problem here is his liability insurance may not cover him in
this scenario. We have a clause in our liability that says if we make no attempt to waterproof the job and this occurs they will not pay. If we make a good faith effort and a tarp blows off or something similar we are covered. If we make no attempt we are not covered. I readily signed on to this because we NEVER leave a roof uncovered overnight. My crews think I’m crazy middle of August, no rain for 500 miles and we’re working late to get roof dried in. We never break this rule. Don is correct, get your insurance company involved. They will know the bill might end up in their lap and get aggressive about going after the contractor.

I’m sorry you had to go through this. Good luck.

Let the contractor correct the situation by out of pocket or by a GL policy. Our deductible is $5k so it depends on the damage.
The only way your homeowners policy will do anything is you must file a claim with them. This now list you on the C.L.U.E. database as filing a claim. Next, this info is listed with Lexisnexis on their risk site as a claim. Upon renewal they can use this claim to increase your rates even though it’s not your fault. Lexisnexis is the largest gatherer of info in the US. Your life history is in those files. Every insurance broker uses them. Be smart before you make the call. You have time to let the contractor correct it. Just my life’s opinion

I should have hired you. The funny thing is this company’s tagline is: we have you covered.

Now I’m totally paranoid. Thanks for the info on C.l.u.e. I had no idea. Seems I’m stuck between rocks, but shouldn’t be. Wife and I very concerned about pooling and moisture under insulation in attic. Also, long term condition of ceiling lights, fans. Not sure how I can trust this roofer to make any damages right, without inolving a 3rd party inspection?
How can I not let State Farm know? C.l.u.e or not?

Very good information rooferama!

I’d like to add that one nights leaky roof would not bring mold.
Mold needs to grow.
It has to have a constant source of water.
The water dried itself out within a day or two in most cases.
You gave quite a visual with the water coming from the speakers, lights and ceiling fan.
Sounds like a cathedral ceiling.
Sounds like water maybe came through the ridge vent hole? Maybe
But you didnt mention the ceilings…
If there is little to no damage on the ceilings??
You might really have very little to no damage.
It dries out. The wood,the insulation,the drywall.
If you just see a brown stain, you fix it with bleach.

I respectfully disagree about mold not showing up after one major leak.
This would be accurate if you brought in a restoration team with fans and air dryers. If nothing like this was done the moisture is still trapped in areas and can produce mold. Most likely never be a problem but why take a chance on it showing up on a home inspection 10 years later when you are trying to sell. You will have no recourse then.

The best approach is to have the HO turn it into their insurance and it is likely their insurance will subrogate with the Contractors GL company. If the Contractor bought crappy GL coverage and there is an exclusion for this, the Homeowner’s IC may choose to come after the Contractor for payment. In my experience, there are two approaches that can work. The one described above. And the Contractor simply taking it on the chin and doing the repairs out of their own pocket.

Of course all situations are different but a contractor I worked for (this was after I left) burned a house to the ground. His insurance refused to pay because of gross stupidity and the homeowner ended up with nothing from him because he declared bankruptcy.

I don’t believe that. Their own Homeowners should have covered it. And if not, he could have sued the Contractor’s GL. Gross stupidity is often the reason GL claims occur.

Thank you Authentic. I have yet to see that clause on my renewals
for general liability.

I don’t know if the homeowners paid. My assumption would be that they did and went after his insurance and then him. I only know the part of story about him. I regret telling him to file a homestead when he bought his house.