Using and claiming for a job Supervisor

Is anyone using a job Supervisor and able to claim (and get approved) for him/her? Using a supervisor IS a line item in Xactimate but I’m wondering what rationale you’re using to get that approved through insurance claims.

Supplement by turning in their time sheet. More detail, the better.

THANKS for the response. Makes sense!

No guarantee that will be successful but I believe it will provide you with the best chance for success. It will work at least part of the time. That’s generally all you can hope for in this business.

Do you not have a supervisor on staff for every job as part of your per square pricing? Why should that be a separate line item?

We have a crew chief on site for every job who also helps with the roofing. But, we use a Project Manager, at times, to do a myriad of things that we wouldn’t bother the crew for so they can get their job done. It is a separate line item in Xactimate, thankfully, because we do want to add it to our estimate, when needed.

How is an ins roof any different than non ins? It’s a separate line because roofers will use any line for any reason they can to get more money of the ins job. Your normal overhead should include the expense of your staff. If there was a line item for “clerical” would you use it too?

Kevin Pratt

Please excuse my abbreviated message sent via iPhone

In answer to your first question: it’s not. And, in answer to your second question: No. Normally, Kevin, we don’t add a Project Manager to our estimates. We only do that when the circumstances, we feel, warrant it. I wanted to know the wording other roofers use. I can definitely tell you’re on the insurance side of things. You are, as my perception is, of all in the insurance industry…suspicious of the contractors. I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

You should read the Xactimate White Paper that covers this and it will answer your questions. Residential O&P is a cost that is not applicable to direct job cost nor is it included in General Contractor Overhead & Profit. Further, if you were to attempt to include it into GC O&P, 10% Overhead would hardly be adequate to cover it.

1 Like

AD do you have a link to that white paper?

Xactimate support website.

Actually I am a contractor and have been in the biz for 43 years! I’m not pro ins company, or pro roofer, I’m pro fair! I have seen many contractors adding things in reciept years simply because some other contractor told them they should get it! Your job supervision is part and parcel to your normal operation, not some random addon!

I have read the white paper you refer to and it’s bullshit! If they had a white paper saying you should discount your price to ins companies for their high volume of work, who you tout it? Unless you are a “real” general contractor and are subcontracting everything on the job, your overhead and profit are in the roofing price. In the real world most GCs actually get a better deal from their subs than the average schmuck does because they are a commercial account and do a good volume of work, so O&p for a GC is tong in cheek! In 43 years of doing this, I have yet to deal with an ins company that would not pay a reasonable price for a roof with a little explanation of why it needs to be at that price! What they don’t like is unreasonable pricing and practices under the pretence that they just want to fuck over everyone. The more the hail chaising half ass roofers try to squeeze yet another bullshit line item out of an adjuster thru some supplement, the more the ins companies push back and lobby for laws to make roofers life harder in an effort to get rid of these turkeys! Guys, in the long term you are screwing yourselves! Higher deductibles, preferred contractor programs, “roofing laws”, roofer registration laws, etc, etc.

You’re welcome to your opinion. As relates to pricing based upon using Xactimate, the Xactimate White Paper is dead on.

I hope you’re not directing your negative comments towards me. If so, it only exhibits your ignorance of me and how my company conducts business. However, again, you’re welcome to your opinion.

Authentic, I don’t know you so no, I am not directing anything towards you individually! My comments are about the industry and it’s current condition in general.

I am betting you view a 1 story roof always a 1 story roof also?
I do know that the typical supervisor is part of my job expenses and cost of being in business. However I am in a situation on my claims where I have to find any additional line items because they are cutting our knees out with their slow, inaccurate price increases and inability to realize soo many of these jobs are different.

For instance the one story roof that is 8 feet off the ground. Why in the world does it pay the same for the one where the back of a house is 20 feet off the ground with a rake running 35 feet up. One level home but with a 12 foot attic space lol.
Drives me crazy all the cookie cutter thoughts

I’d be curious what per square price you are seeking and what your number was just 5 years ago or even 10 years. I have worked with most MANY roofing contractors across the country in pricing issues over just the last 10 years and their numbers don’t add up to supplement anything except the material increases. Many of us just have a difference of opinion on what “reasonable” is.
Guys out here bidding the same price or even 10% only higher (you don’t just increase material price, you have to increase for everything) than 3 years ago are the problem. Larry and a ladder that sells his price instead of standing fast on true profit and true economic inflation.

High charges should be applied to any slope that has 2 story access at the eaves. Rarely have any problem getting paid for that.

Yeh what about 1 story eaves but 3 story high rakes. Most guys do nothing about that but we don’t charge based on “1 story” “2 story” eaves. We base it off actual working height

I just explained how it is designed to work. It’s about eave access. If you have long rafter lengths, then you very likely have strep charges. Or you can always put in for additional labor hours. There’s countless ways to address it if you know insurance work.