Tile roof missing a section?

I just moved into a 2-story house in Arizona. As we were moving in and cleaning windows and such, I noticed this from a second story window. It looked strange to me, and I just wanted to ask folks in the know whether this is a normal looking installation, or there is an issue here? It looks to the roofing-uneducated me that there is a section missing, but maybe there is nothing wrong here. Anyone?

It’s not missing. It looks like it is not visible from the ground either. It was done this way to provide the optimal drainage around that wall. At least that’s the way it appears to me based upon that lone photo.

3 Likes

Authentic is correct, tile on that area would be considered decorative only and would actually inhibit water flow. One problem I see is the exit point looks to be draining under the tile, probably into a jpan. This is problematic where I live and water will eventually jump the hem to rot underlayment. It takes 10-15 years but it does happen, especially if you have debris in there. I would have someone look at this detail to save you problems down the road.

1 Like

how often it rains in arizona to worry about this ?

Good point. All my experience is based in an area with 20-40 inches of rain per year. Maybe it’s a non factor in the desert.

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. In response, I’d like to add that, although the Phoenix area does not receive much annual rainfall, about 8 inches per year, we do get rain throughout the year especially heavy rain during the monsoons, and rain in any amount can be damaging over time when a construction fault exists (although from your answers it doesn’t sound like I have a construction fault, which is a big relief to me).

I raised the question because I have never had a home with this type of roofing system, and it looked a bit odd to my untrained eyes. My previous homes had asphalt roofing. Also, since a home is a major investment, whether the amount of precipitation is a factor or not, it should be built well and intact.

I am relieved that, from Authentic_Dad and Tileman’s answers, this seems to be a legitimate construction practice and makes sense concerning the water flow around the adjacent wall. He is correct that this portion of the roof is not visible from the ground.