The contractor didn't order enough roofing materials down graded

Just found that the contractor had not ordered enough roofing materials for my roof and the roof materials were so different with the materials the Insurance company’s prescription and estimates. Examples, 1. the contractor ordered the drip edge of 180 Linear feet, not 270 linear feet my roof needed. 2. the contractor ordered and installed the plastic mesh ridge vent , not the aluminum ridge vent. 3. the contractor ordered the roof shingles were not enough and less than the SQ of insurance company estimate. 4… Is the contractor’s behavers legal? Thank you, Any Comments and Suggestions are welcome!

It sounds like a moral dilemma. You should remeasure and see which party is the one playing these shenanigans!

The ridge vent they installed is a better product than than aluminum garbage.

2 Likes

Is the plastic mesh better than the R&R Continuous ridge vent in aluminum?

Respectfully, are you a consumer referencing the insurance provided Xactimate report? I ask this because Xactimate reports are overly complicated documents primarily meant to communicate between contractors and Insurance Adjusters. They are general in their terms and quantity allowances. Most contractors, when bidding projects, will use their own form of bid report which more accurately (real world) reflects the job scope, materials and so on. Xactimate is a communication tool developed to help insurance professionals a means of communicating allowances. These allowances are described in general terms and are plucked from a list of descriptions for the task at hand. They can be confusing and are a potential source for conflict through interpretation.

It is more attractive, lower profile and less prone to damage to yard debris.

The aluminum ridge vent is very effective
But it can be unsightly and easily damaged.

1 Like

Didn’t know they still made the aluminum. We had a real fine blowing snow storm that filled a lot of attics. Spent a few days stomping them flat and nailing them down until I could get them replaced. DON’T use the aluminum!

1 Like

Chances are, they only installed drip edge on the eaves. Which is common but not necessarily correct. If you wanted aluminum ridge vent from me, I’d give it to you if you promised not to tell anyone who built your roof. Nobody in their right mind installs that crap any more.

Did the amount of shingles they provided cover your roof? I assume that’s what you paid for. What, you thinking of starting a roof supply company with what was left over? Answer this. If the amount of shingles the insurance company paid for had not been enough, would you have paid for more? I assume you paid for a full roof replacement, not a quantity of shingles. If you got the full roof replacement, then what is your complaint?

2 Likes

I didn’t ask any penny discount for my roof installation. Total amount is my deductibles plus insurance Paid. The Insurance measurement: the Roof SQ is 25.77, add 10% is 28.67. But EAGLEVIEW’s measurement: the Roof SQ also is 23.79, added 10% is 26.17. The contractor ordered 76 BD roof shingle for 25.33 SQ. That was less than 26.17SQ. The insurance estimated to purchase 28.67SQ roof shingles for my roof. 3 Bundles per 98.4 square feet. 76/3 x 98.4 =2492.8 square feet = 24.93 SQ. The 24.93 SQ is actual amount of shingles. Is it right? I complained the poor quality installation.

If you complained about the poor quality of installation, why this fixation on the quantities? Assuming the Eagleview is an accurate depiction of material requirements is naive. I get a kick out of the “percentage added” for material requirements and call that the WAG (Wild assed guess) method." It’s somewhat useful/convenient for bidding but ridiculous for ordering.

Explain how the variance between the insurance quantities and the ordering quantities have anything to do with “quality installation”?

The roofer may have had extra drip edge left over from another job and brought it to your job. The ridge vent he used is considered by most to be an upgrade to the aluminum version. And I can’t believe you are actually arguing about 1sq worth of shingles being ordered.

2 Likes

This is exactly why i dont discuss any measurements with the homeowner
Or a wood bill either.
Its always a back and forth about what amount installed either for real or in their mind.

So i remove ALL that and offer a proposal.
Not an estimate.
An exact price, wood work included.
For a complete roof.

They know exactly how much their paying before they say yes.
No deviations.

2 Likes

100% agree with that! We do the same and have found the “nitpicking of general quantities” is no longer a talking point.

This is my roof photo. Is it good quality?

No, it is not good quality. The swaying in the roof could be some sagging plywood or a sagging ladder extension. Chalk that up to structural … maybe. The edges look like a dog chewed them off and the shingles are not exposed consistently. AND, it looks like they didn’t stagger the shingles??

The image is of far better quality than the installation.

All said, it’s a really bad roofing job despite the inconsistent quantities.

1 Like

Bad edge cuts and face nailed. The bottom of the nailing strip is exposed.

This is a real peach!

Any more feedback will result in a virtual inspection invoice!! :wink:

Nothing good to say about these current photos.
Sloppy punks!
Still looks pretty typical though.

That rake is super crazy.
Not just their super sloppy cuts at the end.
But how it raises up like 3 inches in the middle
I just dont see how they thought it was ok to leave it like that…
Do they think everyone is blind?

[quote=“Ivoman, post:15, topic:26362”]
AND, it looks like they didn’t stagger the shingles??
[/quote]I saw that, but couldn’t tell by the pics. I have seen that once on a new construction, widest offset was actually 2.5". Unbelievable!

Blockquote

Looks like you have bigger problems than a square of shingles. Kind of looks like the perfect customer got matched up with the perfect contractor.

3 Likes