Talking directly to subcontractors?

This forum along with talking directly with the manufactures and roofing supply companies has been a wealth of information and has assisted me to get some real information to help me make an informed decision on what roof shingle I want.

The next step for me would be to directly talk to the subcontractors who actually do the work. What are other’s opinions on this…should I just talk directly to the roofing contractor who do not actually install roofs? Thanks.

you could try craigslist,local facebook marektplace ads and post what you need to be done and request for subcontractor.
but you might catch shady people with no legal recourse if roof start leaking and so on.
good roofing subs always busy,maybe try in winter time?

Thanks for the reply. My original post was not clear…I already have a contract with a roofing company but they sub their roofing work out which appears to be standard practice for the larger companies. I suppose I should just deal with company directly, as you stated I am sure the roofing subs are busy. Thanks.

Most subs are Hispanic which in and of itself is fine. They also tend to be a bit nomadic. Often don’t have any license or insurance. May not be able to cash flow your job. What are you going to do when you have a problem two years down the road and the sub is working a thousand miles away?

Not looking to hire the subs directly. The roofing contractor who I have is licensed and insured and provides any warranty subs their work to an experienced Hispanic crew, normally I like to talk to the actual people doing my work but in this case it probably is not nessasary.

Asus, if i went that route I’d be damn sure to get some references and check license and workmans comp. The right idiots can do a whole roof wrong.

A subcontractor, through definition, implies one is extending services through the governance and contractual framework of a Prime Contractor. A homeowner hiring a subcontractor automatically (and unwittingly) assumes the role, responsibilities and duties of the Prime Contractor. As the Prime Contractor, the homeowner became the de facto agent of the subcontractor. Safety, building codes and warranty standards are responsibilities now shouldered disproprotionately by the Prime Contractor. The Prime Contractor also risks legal harm from the actions of those subcontractors for which they are an agent.

This is why a homeowner should NEVER hire a subcontractor unless the subcontractor agrees to accept the duties and responsibilities of the Prime Contractor … in writing.

“Save a penny to spend a dollar”.

If a homeowner hires a specialty license roofing contractor (California) who performs only work in his specialty trade then the home owner would not have those responsibilities correct?

EDIT: From what I can gather, the Specialty Licensing is meant to provide those trades who specialize in specific tasks, such as roofing, a means of licensing without subcontracting through a Prime. On the flipside, it also seems to limit the Specialty Licensed Contractor from having anyone but themselves perform the work. In other words, it makes that contractors the Prime Contractor for the skills in which they specialize … only. At least that’s how I read it?

I know it’s an oldish thread but I’m confused by the responses. I think the question is clearly stated that a general has been hired and the homeowner is wondering if it’s appropriate to talk to the subs who show up to do the work?

I got side tracked with the GC Sub thing (should be a new topic because I think it reinforces some contract law)

the answer to the question is that it is ok to talk to the subs, be nice to the subs but don’t tell them one thing to do. They don’t work for you and you aren’t their manager. If you have a problem then you should talk to the super or General C.

Giving another crew direction undermines their supervisor. …chains of command and what not.