Suggestions for an inexpensive, durable, repairable roofing product with a good warranty

We have had some problems with our asphalt shingles (caked and baked ==> leaks after only 15 years) and are looking for a roofing product that might help avoid further troubles.

Does anyone know of a roofing product that is long lasting and would be easy to repair if a problem did emerge.
Standing seam appears to be a good product. I also like the Advanta shingles.
We would really love to have the option of simply removing a single panel from our roof if we had a leak and then replace it with another panel. This would such a convenient and inexpensive approach to roof repair.

With the asphalt shingles, it is very difficult to know where the problem is so almost a full reroofing will be needed.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Standing seam is always a good long term solution 50years for kynar painted galv steel, 100+ for copper/stainless, however once the seams are locked you are not getting the panels back apart. Natural slate is probably the easiest product to repair with the proper skills.

Properly applied asphalt shingles fit your description exactly, nothing else does.

You really need to know the exact pitch of the roof
For us to have this discussion.
I decide what roofing products to suggest
Based on the pitch and surrounding trees.

Just because a certain type shingle is currently on your roof, doesnt mean they belong there.

Pics are better than a thousand words.
We can probably determine pitch with just a couple pics.

I measured 8 feet rise and 16 feet run on the west side and 8 feet rise and 8 feet run on the east side.

Asphalt does seem to be the best option. Everyone in our neighborhood has asphalt, so I am not really even sure if
anything else could be a realistic choice. Perhaps it would not even comply with the building code if we were to try something different. How does a weatherization warranty work? With asphalt I should receive a 20 year or so warranty from the shingle manufacturer? If leaks started happening before 20 years, I would then have a valid claim for the roof to be repaired?

Yet, I would really like to have a fool proof product; even if a mistake were made it would still be easily repaired. The idea of having something like standing seam, though with the option of simply replacing one panel/element is very attractive. I would then never be in the position that an entire re-roof would be necessary.

The ideal product would be a metal panel with grooves on the underside that would interlock with corresponding elements attached to the roof deck. If a panel became defective, it could simply be pulled up and out and a new one threaded down from the ridge. I do not understand why such a design has not been demanded by customers. There are no obvious leak points. If necessary the fasteners attached to the roof could be tightened on the ceiling side to give a tighter or looser fit. This might be helpful when a replacement panel were required. One could loosen the fasteners in the attic along the underneath edge of the panel that needed to be removed and then tighten it again once a new panel were installed.

Standing seam looks close to what I have imagined, though there would be no easy way to remove any particular panel. All the panels are together, so replacing one could be tricky.

The problem with the metal panels that I have seen online is that they are fixed to the roof with a large number of screws which need to be drilled through the panels. I would be very worried that with all those holes leaks would develop.

Manafactures warranties in asphalt shingles are basically only for defects in the product not leaks. Leeks come down to property installation over a good substrate, flashing, and good workmanship.

True standing seam uses no exposed fasteners through the panels, which are crimped over clips that allow for expansion and contraction.

There is a system out there somewhat like what you described that has panels with raised seams and a nailing clear on one side. You but the panels together then push on a metal strip with rubber gaskets,. You are then relying on a rubber gasket to keep the water out, we just took alot of it off that was 10years old because it failed and replaced it with traditional standing seam. If you only secured the panels at the top and bottom as you described they would buckel in the middle from expansion. I am a firm believer in sticking with tried and true products.

A quality asphault shingle properly installed over a good deck with all new flashings is most likely your best bet. You have plenty of slope for asphalt.

Yes, I agree the world would be a much better place if people did not take plans made on the back of an envelope and scale them up to mass production before they had any real world experience.

Below is my back of the envelope drawing. The top of the Figure shows the interweaving panels. There would need to be no exposed nails or fasteners of any kind. The panels (purple on top of the red rectangles) would be on the tracks ( blue tracks attached to the panels correspond to the red rectangles attached to the blue plywood on the roof) shown at the bottom of the Figure. They could be designed so that they could be tightened or loosened as needed (see the bottom most drawing in the Figure).
I am not sure though thermal expansion might be tolerated on the ends or also with a bend in the middle.

With this idea you could have attachment of the panels over all or most of its length. At the bottom you could have additional
of the fasteners (red rectangles) to give a very solid and secure seating. At the top, you could always have some pre-drilled holes for screws that would be underneath the ridge cap which might also use these unexposed fasteners.

I also believe in sticking with the tried and true. No one in our area has anything other than asphalt.
Yet, I am disappointed in what has happened with the latest shingles.

I have looked into a large range of roofing products. I even gave some consideration to the Tesla solar roof.
It appeared to be a very solid product, though when I realized that we would need a mortgage to pay for the $100,000
expense, I reconsidered.

One other roofing idea that I have had is a roofing foam that could be applied over the shingles.
Our latest shingles have been “caked and baked” in the heat.
A product that could remove the extreme summer heat off the roof would be so great!
It would not need to waterproof; all it would to do is absorb the heat of the sun.
Something like a mesh covering.

Our shingles appear to have been damaged by the heat of the sun.
This defect is not related to the installation.
Would such a defect in the shingle itself, be grounds for a claim under a shingle warranty?

That idea might look ok to you on paper…but first windy night will sound like Santa and all his reindeer are up there until the wind stops blowing, first good storm you will be able to see your roof out the first story Windows.

MPA, you are probably right. It is, as you say, not always obvious to those drawing up the plan to foresee what will follow.

My best guess is that the roof likely would be well secured. If you had those tracks along the length of the panel and could
tighten them down from the attic, if necessary, you should then have a solid lock. Yet, clearly if the wind could get under the edges there could be a powerful up force on the panels. Perhaps there could be grooves where the edges of the panels could fit into on the adjacent panels. With the panels well secured, they probably would not go airborn and would also not leak. The only vulnerable area would be along the seams. Considering that other metal panels only use 18 screws per panel, the track idea would be an improvement.

Err, our roofer just dumped us!
I sent so many emails asking about all the newest technology, that he was probably glad to get us off his hands!

I did think that asphalt probably would be the best way to go, though the roofer emailed and said it thought a metal
roof was a good idea, he didn’t do metal roofs, so see ya.

Hmm, metal roofs push up the cost quite a bit.
The Advanta tiles do look high quality and they have a 50 year warranty and we would not have to worry about re-roofing every
10-15 years and the net present cost is lower when you go with Advanta… even still staying with the tried and true and cheap might be even better.

How many different angles and shapes do you have on your roof? If you have a basic roof I have no issues with that type of metal shingle but not so much on complicated ones. Btw, lots of products in the roofing world have a 50 yr warranty…many of them come no where even close to last anywhere to lasting that long and by then the company has folded and left the homeowner out to dry. The lesson is to not get to excited by warranties on unproven products.

We have a plain vanilla roof. It is all straight with no valleys, though we have a chimney, quite a few vents and two skylights that are really the centre of our troubles, while there is wider leakage now occurring with the asphalt itself.

We would be the biggest freaks in town if we went with standing seam, though it looks like a very solid product. If it had the easy remove and replace feature there would be nothing to him and haw about.

It would be comforting with a metal panel roof like standing seam that only a few easily identifiable places on the seams would be the source of any troubles. Metal roofs have to be worth the premium to avoid the hassle of dealing with a reroofing every 15 years.

How much of a premium is there for standing seam? Is it a nice fast install? What can go wrong with it?

What are some problems that we should be aware of with standing seam?

Does it make the inside of the house hotter in the summer?
Is there a condensation problem?

Are there higher end asphalt shingles that have a better warranty that would be closer to metal?

After asking around I was already to go back with the shingles, even though standing seam does appear to be the superior product. However, I just received a quote from a roofer that is at the same price point for metal tile as we were ready to pay for asphalt.

Does anyone have a comment about metal tile?
What warranty would they have?

We would need to know exactly what type of “metal tile” you are talking about. But if its the same price as asphalt shingles I do NOT expect it to be a high quality product.

I already told you my opinion on warranties on unproven products.

These metal tiles are 4’ wide and 1’ tall with a corrugated wave pattern.

-50 year non — prorated warranty on roofing material
-Steel tiles are 3d cut to provide a seamless roofing system
-Manufactured with 26 Gauge G90 galvanized metal

They look impressive.
The main worry would be that water might somehow leak into the seams along the width of the metal tile.
A big selling feature is they would not disintegrate as our asphalt shingles have done.
It is possible that something could go wrong with these tiles though it probably would be more localized.
With the asphalt once they go, the entire roof needs to be redone.

Tile

As long as they are flashed right they won’t leak. They also make steel shingles that look like asphalt shingles. Neither are products I deal with.