Subfacia Rot Left on Reroof

Hi

We just had a new torchdown roof placed on a 24x24 detached carport/garage. There was extensive rot of the decking at all 4 corners, as there was leakage around all the scuppers. All four corners were replaced with new decking. The fascia is 2x10 and the subfacia is 2x6. I’m attaching photos of rot that was not addressed on the subfascia at rafter end. I’ve questioned the contractor about it via email and sent photos. I’m awaiting his reply. But, being the average homeowner, I don’t know whether this is something that really should have been addressed during roof installation. To me, it should have been. I didn’t want any rot remaining. My initial contact with the company was via their “contact me” email on their website, so I don’t have a copy of my initial communication with them. But, I’m sure I stated I wanted all rot removed. So, question to community: Is this a deal? Should it have been replaced? The inspection is scheduled for next Friday (today is Saturday).

My roofing contract states they will “inspect the substrate to find dry rot or broken framing” and that “all dry rot and framing repair will be addressed” and that it would be at “an additional cost to this quote”. Hopefully my photos upload correctly. Thanks for any advice and opinions!

Its going to all come down to what was in the contract. With open soffit, I always look. The 2x10 fascia was evidently in good shape. Maybe they didn’t look under there. What ever your agreement was, that’s what it will come down to.

Most roofers can repair that issue, but it will cost more. If I where you I would get a siding guy to come out and do this repair. Your new roof should be good to go. I see this stuff all the time, finding hidden damages or damages that are missed because you can not see them. Wood work is slow and roofers really do not make much money for time spent doing these repairs. And to be fare to your roofer, it is below the roof. And it does look as if someone did paint over that damage. Have you had your home inspected for termites or carpenter ants? The cost is low for peace of mind.

Thanks. Though you can’t see it in this photo (as a newbie, I could only post one picture), the scupper is on the other side of that rafter tail. There is rot there as well, though not as evident. I’m pretty sure it’s all water damage. I live in the PNW and a flat roof is a horrible idea here. Large fir trees regularly clog the gutters at a sharp elbow (going to redesign the downspouts for a shallower angle) and water was backing up and pooling, probably for years. The existing roof was in pretty rough shape. I inherited the house a few years back and regular maintenance was lacking for several years. We did paint the house and garage last year before we put a new roof on the house, so the paint that you see is ours.

I haven’t been on the roof (I’m an old(er) lady), but I am concerned that removing that piece will interfere with the roofing system and, if I don’t have the roofers do it, it may void my warranty. It probably isn’t a real structural issue, but it looks bad (neglectful) and really bothers me.