Step Flashing - my latest technical detail

And here is a link to a site showing damage that occurrs from improper flashing installations, by not utilizing a kick out flashing.

kickout.info/gallery.html

and another site:

paragoninspects.com/kickout-flas … go-il.html

and one more with the DryFlekt product gallery and examples of damage, especially behind siding products.

dryflekt.com/

Ed

Excellent description of what step flashing is.

By no means does it explain the entire process, but clearly shows the ‘middle’ easy part of the chimney.

I also cement the upper flashing to the chimney. (Some call it tar)

Nothing wrong with doing that except imo it’s ugly. There are some places that might require it, but not many. Obviously you need to box the end off somehow if the last flashing is deeply buried on something like stucco. But as far as using it to direct water off the wall and into the gutter? You’re doing more work to make something ugly that you now have to caulk around. Why not just butt the gutter to the wall and run a thin bead of caulk between it and the wall? It’s less caulk, less ugly, less hassle and looks 100% better. To each their own I guess, I’m certainly not saying it is bad or wrong, I just see little or no reason for it on the average roof.

I guess I should clarify myself in relation to the page 2 comments.

I would not put a kickout on the bottom of a penetration “in field”. I would only use a kickout where a vertical dumps the bottom of the flashing (step or turnback) onto a wall.

The photos in Ed’s links are perfect examples of why a kickout is useful.

Now, to put a kickout that forms a full 90 degree bend is bad technique… but to add a 30 degree or so re-direct is, IMO, a good thing.

Oh, & one other reason to use a line drawing vs. a digital photo is line drawings load easier on a website & take up less ink if you decide to print one out for reasons to be determined.

I’ve only had a few cases were a kickout is needed. To me it seems pretty inviting place for ice to travel behind from the gutter. But if you were taught they were needed from the get-go I could understand why.

An example of a “problem” 90 degree kickout:

activerain.com/blogsview/391847/ … t-flashing

Michael,

You have a very informative site. Thank you very much for being so detailed. Do I know you from an inspector site or from JLC, by any chance?

Did you follow a link to your site and find us here because of my post?

Ed

Yup, followed your link to the Paragon site - glad I found this site, lots of useful information here and I’ll likely end up asking you all a LOT of questions.

I post mostly on Inspection News, occasionally over on TIJ, and very occasionally on interNACHI and the JLC.

Mike,

If you don’t mind me asking, how long have you been doing inspections?

I’ve got a report I recently did for a real estate transaction where the purchaser’s inspector called for some reasonable things & was incorrect on others.

If you could share your opinion with me, I’ll forward this to you; it’s a word.doc.

Glad to have you here.

Yeah, I thought I recognized you. I have posted on all 3 of those myself, and also a ton over at contractor talk.

Ed

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Mike,

If you don’t mind me asking, how long have you been doing inspections?

I’ve got a report I recently did for a real estate transaction where the purchaser’s inspector called for some reasonable things & was incorrect on others.

If you could share your opinion with me, I’ll forward this to you; it’s a word.doc.

Glad to have you here.[/quote]

This is my third year as a licensed home inspector, but for the last 35 years I’ve been inspecting property for myself and others as a rehabber and small-scale developer.

I’d be interested in seeing the reports (my e-mail is in my profile), but I’m very much not interested in getting in the middle of fights between roofers (or any other trade) and home inspectors – we both know that that there is a vast range in the knowledge and in the quality of the work performed by both roofers and home inspectors, and also in our customers’ ability to tell good work from bad, and their willingness to pay for a good job even when they can identify it.

So I’m here mostly to learn, and to pass along any useful information I can in return.

Here in Chicago I see a lot of older properties that present difficult roofing challenges: lots of odd chimney arrangements (such as placement in valleys), junctions between additions of various designs, construction and age, unusual transitions between roof pitch and materials and the like. Also, I’m starting to see some rather ‘unusualâ€Â

Michael,

I sent a copy to your contact@paragoninspects.com address; feel free to look it over @ your convenience.

I tried to open the doc after I sent it to you, but got an error message so I hope it’s just a temporary glitch.

2nd Try:

contact@paragoninspects.com:
74.220.207.156 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 No Such User Here
Giving up on 74.220.207.156.

??

I’ll fix that in the morning. In the meantime I’ve sent you an e-mail with a valid address, REPLYING to that address will work.

umm heres the diverters i was talking about. Basic stuff. this house was a kinda low profile and i know we should have you silicone but whatever. Doesnt really matter in the end. Looks a little sloppy but if it were a higher profile house i guess i we would have done a nicer job. Ohwell.

http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/6184/img_1204531285.jpghttp://www.roofing.com/images/topics/6184/img_1204531311.jpghttp://www.roofing.com/images/topics/6184/img_1204531346.jpghttp://www.roofing.com/images/topics/6184/img_1204531383.jpg

That’s some ugly looking tar you’ve got there. Not really designed for direct exposure, either.

How about some nice clear 30 year sili?

Is the kickout in this picture sitting in front of the step flashing, or is that just the way it looks in the picture?

[quote=“Michael Thomas”]Is the kickout in this picture sitting in front of the step flashing, or is that just the way it looks in the picture?

[/quote]

No that just way my cheap ass phone camera loks like.
Sorry i have a digital but im too lazy to bring it to the job.ill brerak it down.
TYVEK
starter strip
Full step
Diverter
cut shingle
step shingle and so and so on
SIMPLE

By the way i know i should have use Silicone we were on a Dual black roof that morning and forgot to bring some silcicone. Ohwell.

im going to have my website up in a couple weeks. im gonna be taking pictures of all the technical stuff and how tos on there. ill st the link when its done.

:shock:

On roofs I gotta put kick out diverters on everything. Even 1.5ft step flashed pigeon returns need them.

At first I got call backs because siders didn’t know what they were so they cut them off. Now most siders know you have to have them so they side around them.

On over half the jobs my home owners ask, “Why is that metal there?” My reply is, “Sorry, but it’s code”.