Starter Shingle

Hello, Does anyone know of a valid reason to overlap adjacent starter shingles instead of butting the joints together?

0 Likes

I can’t think of any.
Do you have a client who thinks that is a good idea?

0 Likes

Thanks for responding. Actually we had a new roof installed and the roofer was overlapping the starter shingles, anywhere from 1 - 5 inches, when we realized what they were doing we asked them to stop doing that and butt the shingles together, but they did not, they continued overlapping. It makes for a wavy looking edge along the eve and really doesn’t look good. It resulted in bump up areas and I am concerned the shingles will not properly seal. Other than looking bad, will this cause any performance issues?

0 Likes

The roofing company has offered to try and cut the overlapped sections out. Do you think this will just cause more problems, would it be better to leave it alone? Thanks

0 Likes

No, overlapping them shouldn’t cause any performance issues. A skilled guy could cut the overlapped shingles with no issues but anyone who thought that was a good idea would not be someone who I would trust to do it. At this stage I’d say just leave it be.

1 Like

You were originally correct
And correct a second time…
Yes they should have butted them together.
Yes, i think you should leave it alone.

0 Likes

Were they using 36in starters or 3-tabs and metric (39in) field shingles? The butt joints of the starters and first row can wind up on top of one another. That said, we just cut the starter back when that happens. Zero reason to do it on the rakes if they are running starters up the rakes too.

1 Like

They used regular 3 tab shingles and cut the tabs off. My thoughts exactly on joints of starters and first row of architectural shingles lining up, they should have been cut to prevent that from happening. I think the reason they overlapped is because they didn’t want to take time to cut the starters. Wish they had done it correctly… but can’t change that now. Thankfully on the rakes they didn’t overlap the starters, like you said no reason to do that at all.

1 Like

Thank you all for the responses. If no performance issues from lapping the starters then I agree it would probably be better to leave them alone. Hopefully over some time they will seal down better and the bump up areas will not show up as much.

0 Likes