Starter row with architectural shingles

Hi, I’m redoing the roof on a small shed. I’ve helped with roofing jobs before but never done it myself, and the one thing I can’t seem to find the answer to is how to put down the first starter row. (Or there are too many conflicting answers). I have “architectural” shingles, about 40" long, with some extra 3-tab shingles of the same colour for the ridge.

What I’ve read is to cut the tabs off a 36" three-tab shingle and turn it upside down (?!). I don’t have 3-tabs for the purpose, so how do I cut down the architectural shingles and do I rotate them or flip them over? What seems logical is to have an shingle edge with a tar strip near the roof edge to help seal it. There seems to be cellophane tape covering an adhesive on the upper edge of the shingle and a tar-like edge on the bottom “toothed” edge. And four nails or eight per shingle for this row?

Also, do I fold the final row of shingles over the peak, or cut them before putting down the ridge?

Thanks for any help.

If using laminates for starters, cut them along the exposure line and install the top of the shingle as the starter. 4 or 6 nails per, just match whatever your doing for the field of the roof.
You can then use the cut off part for the top row.

1 Like

Great, thanks for your help. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.

That part of the roof is done now; for reference, the shingle is rotated so that the uncut edge is along the edge of the roof, with the strip of adhesive along the edge?

And the ridge: I’ll use the leftover pieces as described; and should the last rows fold over the ridge, is this good practice?

Appreciate the help.

Wow Patchap! I thought I was the only one who cut shingles in half like that for my starter and used the other half for the final row. It always seemed to be the most simple thing in the world to me but I am never able to convince other roofers. There is zero waste that way and everything will seal down the exact same way every other row on the roof will. Oh, and I have a HUGE pet peve about manufacturer’s starter shingles that are shorter than the field shingles.

1 Like

I would not fold the last row of shingles over the ridge. I kinda view that as a sloppy work habit. But with that said it’s not gonna create any problems if you do other than the slight possibility of those shingles telegraphing through on the other side.

Done as advised. Just a shed, but still want to do it right. Thanks for the help- good on you guys for having some patience with the DIYers.

Yeah some guys just dont understand. Its perfect, same headlap, size as the rest of the roof. I also cant stand the smaller starters, complete pain in the butt for no benefit.

Agree with everyone about the short starters.
That’s why I never use GAF starter
And only use Certainteed starter.

Also I’d like to say that I like to overlap the ridge and hip.
The ridge isn’t necessary to overlap if I am needing to do the technique as previously mentIoned in order to save shingles.

Over hanging the hip on the first side of it,
I think is quality.
Why?

Because I have had to fix numerous leaks
Where roofers had cut both sides of the hip.
They also cut into the felt underneath.
Sideways windy rain gets under the cap and leaks.
Then when roof gets old and caps start blowing off, falling off, it leaks.

Not cutting one side of the hip
Saves time, roofing blades, less trash
and adds Quality to the roof.
Which is the main thing.
Makes it more storm proof,
No Doubt!!

I do that also, when I don’t have starter shingles, it’s nice to see others can read the package also.

I’m not exactly following the ridge cap. If the leftover piece from the starter strip is used as a ridge cap, how does it lay over the ridge. Let’s say the shingle is 36” long and you cut it at the white line utilizing the tar strip piece as a starter. Then the “architectural” piece is used as a ridge cap, do you lay it 36” or the other way, and have it 18” on each side of the ridge?

Thanks for your understanding if I seem like I’ve never roofed…

You use the cut off piece for the top row of the roof,under the ridge cap.

I guess I was thinking like you take a standard 3 tab shingle and cut it to make a ridge cap.

Then with the small pieces you’ve cut, you nail and overlap the them along the ridge for a ridge cap.

Can you do that with architectural shingles?

I’ve seen it done and it’s functional, I don’t recommend it.

Would it make any difference if it was going on a chicken coop?

Nothing makes a difference on a chicken coop. Split beer cans in half and nail them on

4 Likes