Software for running your small roofing company

Can anyone recommend a good software for managing your roofing company, scheduling estimates, work orders, making estimates and invoicing easier. Keeping track of your customers and employees, etc.?

Ideally something under $1,500.00 ( the cheaper the better )

Thanks

Wayne

Personally I would try Estimation pro. Its a 195 start up and 100 a month but plus right into quick books does the estimates very fast and you can track almost everything. Training is free so non of the paying and they should you via webinar the program so you can make an educated decision. the first month is free so you will not get charged for a month. Call and ask for bob Hamilton ext 105. This way you can try it out before you spend your money. It easy and fast check them out at:

That looks like a good one and a great price too…thanks gtp1003!!

If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them. I’ll probably look at a handful before I decide.

For example I was looking at Wintec and this one below-

insightdirect.com/roofing-software/

But that one above is $2,800.00 yikes!

Thanks ahead of time for anyones help!

Wayne

use quickbooks if you need to manage ur money…remember taxes will kill ur business, this program will help you manage ur payments…is under 300

CCSRoofer, what is your primary objective? If it is finding a software to help you with estimating and quoting, I suspect Estimation Pro would work reasonably well for you. If your concerns/needs are geared more towards the operations side (ordering materials, creating job order/instructions, invoicing, etc.), I’d look for something else.

If you have the time to spare, give Estimation Pro a test drive with the free trial. If you’re business is geared more towards cash bids with minimal insurance work, it might work well for you. If they changed it to a pure data base instead of a bunch of customized Excel spread sheets, it could be more robust than when I tried it. I personally couldn’t see paying a $100 per month for bunch of Excel templates.

Dad they have redone most of everything and by end of august a complete remake is in the update. They changed alot of what you had said since they were problems others have had. I just talk to bob and he lets me know this stuff i dont really care i just answered a question and dont make a dime off of it so if it can help him i am glad i could help.

Thanks guys!..all of that info helps. The more I have to look at the better. So I appreciate any sugesstions.

Authentic_Dad , a few of my primary goals are -

1. Organization are jobs, repairs, what needs to be done and when, have task reminder sent to me here and there when needed.

2. saving time on typing up estimates, invoices and keeping track of them once i do. Right now I have them in “files” on my desk top.

3. Having a easy to acsess customer data base, where I can see all of our repairs etc. at once and that need to be done , what has been done and what needs to be invoiced for.

Bottom line - a paperless system to keep track of it all and be able to "plug in a few numbers and figures and have estimate and invoice templates ready to print and easy acsess to print out work orders for a few of my guys when they get to the shop in the morning.

We do a lot of repair jobs for a handful of prop. mgmgt co’s so it would be nice to have software/database to keep track of all of those repairs, what needs done, who did it, what we charged , attach pictures when we need to, etc.

Hope that helps…Thanks again everyone!!!

Wayne

anything weather, that acculynx looks like exactly what I need…hopefully its not a ton of $$$$$

Thanks!!!

I would give those guys a call and tell them Bill Combes from HailWatch referred you. The great thing about software that is internet based is there are no software installs and all enhancements they make to the product are included. I was just with Acculynx and EagleView in Edmond OK at the ABC Supply branch there and all of our products have been well received. I hope this helps!

CCSRoofer, from what you described, doesn’t sound like EstimationPro as I remember would be the right choice. I tried AccuLynx briefly a year or so ago and at the time was incredibly under impressed.

I don’t know what your software capabilities are but I developed my own custom data base utilizing ACT! as the core to build it around. We mostly use Xactimate for our estimating so that was the least of our needs, we were looking for something more along the lines of what you described and then some.

Perhaps my biggest objection to both Acculynx and Estimation Pro were the monthly “rental” fees. I’ve always purchased software and then just used it until I wanted to purchase an upgrade. Both companies want to charge you that same monthly fee for every user so it can get rather pricey in a hurry. I spent around $1,200 for 4 ACT! licenses and licenses for a couple of add on software packages that was needed. We spend $200 per month on a server service that allows 8 log in users and 24/7 support.

Xactimate is not the easiest to use and training costs around 700 last i checked. Now if im not mistaken its able at the 100 to run more computers, not sure since this is not mine nor do i make a dime off of it. Check it out they give you a webinar to see before you buy. This way you dont put a dime down unless you like it.

Authentic Dad I appreciate your positive feedback about our software. We have made several improvements to our software since you cancelled your subscription, you were one of our very first clients. Our improvements came along slower than we expected, but we really wanted to get it right the first time. I appreciate you trying our product, and giving us the feedback. We like to hear from contractors such as yourself to make sure we are giving you what you need out of our software. That is what a company who wants to succeed should do. Our jobtracking CRM is 2 weeks away from launching, and it comes with our stand-alone bid platform that we already have in the marketplace. We have implemented many changes/improvements to estimationPRO that all of our current clients seem to be very happy with. We are the most user-friendly roof estimation software available on the market, which is the opinion of our current clientel and many others. I hope you, and yours are having a very successful year!

Just an FYI, gtp is not employed by me to sell our product or services, he is simply a satisfied user. If you have any questions concerning this matter feel free to contact me at any time. I don’t want him to be associated as a sales-representative for our company. No disrespect to GTP, he seems to be very respected on roofing.com. We don’t want the wrong impression given, nor does GTP! Thank you for your time. 1-800-939-5373 ext. 105 - Bob.

Bob, you are a classy individual as is your company. Just to be 100% clear, my posts should have in no way been taken as a negative towards your company and the Estimation Pro product. I realize the software was in it’s infancy at the time I evaluated it. At that time, I needed something that fit our needs rather precisely and I needed it quickly.

For the sake of clarity, I will say it again, I believe your software would fit the needs of many, many roofing companies, particularly those doing cash bids. That’s true for the product as it was when I looked at it. I am confident it has evolved substantially since then and I hope to be able to take a look at it again in the winter when things slow down for me a bit. I harbor no ill will against you guys whatsoever, in fact, I applaud your efforts in bringing this product to the market and the benefits it should bring to many roofing companies. It was simply a situation where the timing wasn’t right and I couldn’t wait for the modifications that were needed to fulfill all of our needs.

I appreciate the kind words Authentic! You are a class act as well. Just so everyone knows, this software will seamlessly calculate your insurance cost for insurance claims, as well as retail bid. It is designed to automate the supplement process for insurance restoration contractors taking out the risk of human error. It has everything needed from start to finish to complete a roofing project from start to finish, insurance claim, or retail. You can produce everything needed in seconds with importing a GeoEstimator report as well. Hope to show you the improvements sooner than later sir. Good talking to you again. Take care, call anytime 800-939-5373 ext.105.

I posted about the Estimation Pro yesterday on another thread. It seems to have disappeared.

As far as the program itself, it seems impressive. However, the support was lacking. I never got it to work properly on my computer. I had to purchase a newer version of Windows for $200. I was never told that what I was currently using wouldn’t support it. I was also told that the updated version would be ready in a few days. Looks like this is still the case.

I do use Quikbooks Pro Contractor Version for all my bookkeeping. I am pleased with it. For estimates, I have an Excel spreadsheet, but I can usually use a pencil and piece of paper and be just as accurate.

I managed to do the same as Authentic Dad. When I started working for this company back in 1993 everything was done by hand. I quickly had to change that.

After shopping around for the best software available at the time, and there wasn’t much out there back then, I quickly found that it was either too expensive or didn’t quiet suit the needs of a smaller commercial roofing contractor.

I purchased Microsoft Office Access and the Office Access Bible and in no time wrote my own program.

This program keeps track of customers, properties/jobs, work orders, proposals, a/r, profit and loss, materials, etc.

And it does it to the specifics of my business.

Programs like Microsoft Access and Act are not difficult to learn. I have 0 educational instruction with this software (or any for that matter). Apart from a couple of $50 manuals that is. In fact when I graduated high school the Commodore 64 and the word processor were state of the art :D.

I use billing manager it’s totally free and been using it for years I even accept credit cards through it.

[quote=“gishroofing”]I managed to do the same as Authentic Dad. When I started working for this company back in 1993 everything was done by hand. I quickly had to change that.

After shopping around for the best software available at the time, and there wasn’t much out there back then, I quickly found that it was either too expensive or didn’t quiet suit the needs of a smaller commercial roofing contractor.

I purchased Microsoft Office Access and the Office Access Bible and in no time wrote my own program.

This program keeps track of customers, properties/jobs, work orders, proposals, a/r, profit and loss, materials, etc.

And it does it to the specifics of my business.

Programs like Microsoft Access and Act are not difficult to learn. I have 0 educational instruction with this software (or any for that matter). Apart from a couple of $50 manuals that is. In fact when I graduated high school the Commodore 64 and the word processor were state of the art :D.[/quote]

gishroofing, I see you’re in Dayton, perhaps when things slow down a bit, we should get together and take a look at each others system. I’ve done some databases in Access and it is a nice software tool. The bigger the database and the more things you try to relate though, the trickier it gets to make everything work. That’s why I went with ACT! to use as the backbone. Perhaps in the winter, I may start over again and see if I can do the same thing with Access.

welcome to the forum!