Soffit drip after winter high winds

Hello

Complete roofing newbie here. Bought my single story house last spring here in Calgary Alberta - its a 30yr old bungalow. It had been recently (in 2018-2019) reno’d by licensed providers. New roof, blown insulation, fascia, soffits, gutters. Asphalt shingles, metal soffits and gutter. My inspection on purchase in Feb 2020 found no unusual thermal hot or cold spots.

Today it went above freezing, sun on the roof, and I noticed water dripping (first time since buying last Feb) from 3 soffit holes near the front corner of the house. It is occurring at soffit holes near the eave and on either side of the soffit join - meaning the side of house soffits (running parallel to the side) meet the front of house soffits (running parallel to the front). There is a front porch and the roof extends out to cover that. I’d post a picture but I’m new here.

There is no snow on the roof and no ice build up. Gutters are clear, no debris, no snow or ice, with a few patches of water in them. But the last two solid days were winter storm conditions - high winds (50-70 kph/3-45 mph) and blowing snow. Well below freezing. Winds were hitting that front corner.

I called the soffit/fascia/roof installer through info provided by the previous owner. Asked them to take a look. I’m wondering what I need to learn to navigate this.

Any help you can provide on what I should ask about and where I can learn more as a layperson, much appreciated!

Thanks
cc

Sounds like condensation. Any exhaust vents in that part of the house? What type of vents are on that roof?

Do you mean condensation in the attic - dripping out and through the soffits?

There is a kitchen hood fan exhaust through the exterior wall about 3 yards away. Other than that I don’t see any vents in the actual roof on that side of the house. The furnace and dryer are vented from the basement out the opposite side of the house through the foundation.

The house inspector took pics of the new loose fibreglass insulation in this shallow attic and said “Attic ventilation appears to be acceptable. NO EVIDENCE OF EXCESSIVE MOISTURE/CONDENSATION/STAINING ON ROOF SHEATHING OR FRAMING NEAR HATCH. INSULATION/AIR CHUTES PRESENT. EXACT CONDITIONS AT SOFFIT NOT DETERMINED. CHECK WITH SELLER, AS SUGGESTED ABOVE TO ENSURE ORIGINAL PLYWOOD SOFFIT WAS REMOVED PRIOR TO INSTALLATION OF VENTED METAL.”
(sorry about the all caps - the inspector loved all caps and used them freely in his report)

I was unable to get that plywood answer from seller.

What does one do in an attic with loose insulation and low slope to check for condensation?
Is there some kind of moisture meter to check?

Sorry about the odd questions, I literally have no idea about this. And I’m a little worried the folks who put in the soffits may not have done it right - and may suggest poor fixes when then stop by to check the issue.

Thanks
cc

Usually dripping on a thaw is due to frost buildup in an unheated void. Look at the roof when there is a light frost, the heat loss will show where there isn’t any. THE INSPECTOR WAS PROBABLY HARD OF HEARING!

1 Like

I think you can post a pic now.
If you can show the roofing above the rake.
The whole rake Above the leak.
From eve to ridge.

And You say both rakes are leaking?

I think you can post more pics after you post one and we discuss it.
Seems to be the pattern of how you will be allowed.

1 Like

I have a couple of pics of the underside of the eave. I’ve included one here. But none of the roof itself. My ladder could not reach that side (I had planned to borrow a neighbour’s today). My roof is more accessible from the back. When I got up on my smaller ladder at the back - I looked across the roof (and should have taken a picture) but saw no snow or obvious ice. But it was 50 ft away.

Last night it snowed a couple of inches. So no ladders or pics today. It is supposed to go above freezing on Friday - I will get some upper pics then.

thanks
cc!
underside1|281x500

So it keeps snowing but it is warming up and I walked on the rise behind my house. From there I can see the roof - somewhat. I took this picture and clearly there is a patch that is without snow.

SO this means … no insulation there? Or something else?

The attic is very shallow and has loose fibreglass. So how does one fix this?

And do I have to dry that area out before its fixed? If so how in winter?

Thanks for everyone responding. I really appreciate the help grokking this!

cc

snowroof2

I just spoke with the loose fibreglass insulation provider, and he said that during installation, sometimes, if the soffit work in not in place, winds can displace the loose insulation.

That made me wonder if the last two days of high winds on that corner could have displaced insulation? Or would that just not happen with metal soffits in place?

Thanks again for anyone weighing in with insights!

cc

Well, that’s a start. Is that an open, unheated porch area?

Yes. The porch is covered. But not enclosed - so not heated. Back porch (seen in the 1st of these 2 photos) and front porch are reflections of each other. Roof continues out over the rectangle of shaded porch.

The dripping is at that front right corner - where actual house stops and front porch cover starts.

What’s causing the snow melt in that spot?

I assumed it would be heat from a insufficiently insulated spot in the attic at that corner?

Based on what the insulation provider I spoke to today (who did the original job) said - when they do these reno jobs, often the soffit work is not yet installed. And the loose fibreglass can be lifted away if a lot of wind comes through the not-yet-installed soffit area. So he wondered if that area was now low insulation in that spot.

I wondered since I am only noticing it now - after a recent high wind storm (2 days at 45mph winds) - that maybe the wind was getting now in and further disturbing the loose insulation in that corner?

I have no idea if that is the case.

If this was less shallow attic with batten insulation I would be up there checking it out.

cc