Snow in Attic Help!

Hey guys this is my first post on here. I need some help with snow in my attic. I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming and its pretty windy here. About 2 years ago I have snow in my attic I called my builder and they said that they hadn’t put some screens or something on my attic vents. They fixed the damaged drywall too. Well just the other day I had water leaking from my ceiling again. I went up into the attic and found two piles of snow just under my attic vents. These are roof louvers. I called my builder and they are now saying that this can happen in windy environments and that I am out of my warrany period so they can’t do anything. I went onto my roof today and looked at the louvers they don’t have a screen on them but they do just have very small slits in the metal to allow air flow could snow really be getting in through this and if so what can i do about it? thank you.

1 Like

post pics from outside & inside

If you have vents that look like this:

http://www.airvent.com/professional/products/productImages/staticAirhawk_galvSlant.jpg

I think it might be possible for dry, wind driven snow to infiltrate your attic.

Switching to a vent more like this:

http://www.airvent.com/professional/products/productImages/staticAirhawk_rvaSlant.jpg

May solve the problem.

I would charge around $45.00 + tax per vent to swap them out. With a $120.00 minimum charge.

IKO roofer,you should be well liked with a handle like that,lol.People here looooove IKO. :smiley:

I have seen can style vents with slits let snow in. Changing them to a turtle style like shown above will help fix the problem but might not completely fix the problem, i have seen them leak also. Screens will not help just hold the snow.

Hi IKO,

What is the differnce?

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi IKO,

What is the differnce?[/quote]

The hole is covered?

note the words “if” and “may” in my post. We don’t get much dry snow here, and I haven’t seen his vents, so I offer that as a possibility, not a certainty.

~IR

We have had a couple of issues here with snow getting into the attic.
We removed the ridgevent and replaced it with shinglevent II, the problem went away.

try gluein some window screen over the loover vents in the sides that may stop snow from blowin in.

i dont know what the hell im talkin about.
just a guess.

gweedo.

[quote="-Axiom-"]We have had a couple of issues here with snow getting into the attic.
We removed the ridgevent and replaced it with shinglevent II, the problem went away.[/quote]

Bingo!!!

I have never had a Shingle Vent II leak snow or rain and have been using that brand for nearly 20 years out of my 25+ in business. I have had other brands leak both snow and rain though.

Ed

1 Like

Being from the Calgary area, my area is subject to intense ‘chinook’ winds coming off the mountains, sometimes forcing snow into attic spaces as you’ve described.

I’d like to suggest as a ‘quick fix’, relocating the attic air exhaust vents in question to a side of the roof with the least amount of wind.

HOWEVER, in my humble oppinion…you, and everyone with an attic, would be better off with ridge venting. It costs a little more than standard vents, and provides a continuous area for air to exhaust while offering the strongest protection against the intake of snow and water.

Ridge Manufacturers: check out the Lamanco website. Lamanco has a good quality ridge vent product, a little more expensive than the GAF/ELK product, but both these manufacturers and their products are overall very reliable.

I have some picture of ridge venting on my website www.calgary-roofing.com should you like to read up more on it. I won’t be able to help with the installation (unless you wan’t to pay for my flight and hotels :wink: but trust there’s a good reliable roofer in your area (such as the ones you may find on this forum) to help.

Hi IKO,

They look like the same vents to me. Just different manufacturers.

The one you say may leak, I have never seen go bad or leak snow.

I do a lot of repair work. Just would like to know.

1 Like

Another thought is to check if you also have gable vents on the attic which may be acting as exhaust and letting the louvers act as intake vents allowing snow in the attic. I had this problem once on a customers house during a light flakey snowfall and just the right drift of wind. We went into the attic, covered the gable vents on the inside with plywood and never had another call through 6 winters.

IKO, I’m pretty sure that the 1st vent you showed has a ‘tube’ extending up also, just covered by the metal.

I’ve never seen one outside of the catalog…I’d be really interested to see what this guy’s vents actually look like. From what I’m reading here it sounds like Shingle Vent II (providing he has enough horizontal ridge) might be the best solution, presumably due to the external baffle (ugly as sin, but apparently keeps out snow).

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi IKO,

They look like the same vents to me. Just different manufacturers.

The one you say may leak, I have never seen go bad or leak snow.

I do a lot of repair work. Just would like to know.[/quote]

The top one has external louvers, when I read the problem that was the mental picture I formed. I was thinking maybe the solid cover would help.

[quote=“another roofing pro”]Another thought is to check if you also have gable vents on the attic which may be acting as exhaust and letting the louvers act as intake vents allowing snow in the attic.

I had this problem once on a customers house during a light flakey snowfall and just the right drift of wind. We went into the attic, covered the gable vents on the inside with plywood and never had another call through 6 winters. [/quote]

Dennis needs to read this post.

Ed

1 Like

Come on Ed he wont beilve it, he does not beileve billion dollar companies testing what makes you think he will on this one.

I give him lots of credit for supporting his opinion though.

But, it is actual cases that disprove his theory to me, not the manufacturers marketing and sales brochures beefing up their own brand name and products.

Ed

1 Like

DOnt get me wrong ed i respect him for that but his theory is a bit wrong in my eyes. Yes i have even spoken to him over the phone about it. We agree to disagree on this subject. I think you are right thou.