Should the insurance adjuster have specified drip edge?

My roofing contractor turned out to be a scammer, so I have to replace the entire roof. One of the many issues is missing drip edge.

I live in coastal NC and was hit by Florence. The NC code does not require drip edge but requires that the contractor follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions. I’ve talked to a few roofers that are certified for specific shingle manufacturers and all are required to use drip edge. They could not express an opinion if all manufacturers require drip edge in hurricane country.

Do all shingle manufacturers require drip edge in hurricane country?

Should the insurance adjuster have included drip edge in the claim?

Can I go back to the insurance company for a supplement for fixing the drip edge issue, which would include at least the removal of the old shingles, purchase of replacement shingles, installation of new shingles and installation of the drip edge?

Any other insights or suggestions on how to deal with the insurance company would be appreciated.

As of 2012, the International Residential Code, requires some type of drip edge.

Thanks. Is NC required or the insurance company required to follow the International Residential Code? If not, is there any chance at all that any shingle manufacturers would have installation instructions that do not follow the International Residential Code?

No shingles will need to be removed or replaced in most cases to install drip edge. The eave edge will slide under the starters and the outside nails on the rake edges will need to be removed, drip edge slid in, and the shingles re nailed. You would be lucky to get the insurance to pay for that after the fact but don’t expect anything more than that.

Present code in NC does not require drip edge. Very few manufacturers require drip edge. Seems like you’ve been getting lied to a lot.

International Code defaults to Manufacturer’s Installation Instructions when applicable. ICC is a minimal set of building standards. They state in almost every chapter that materials are to be installed to Manufacturer’s Installation Specifications. The majority of Manufacturer’s Installation Specifications to not specifically state a requirement for drip edge to be installed. NC’s State Codes are rather screwed up. We have an office in Raleigh. At present, a valley lining is required which has been the case since the inception of the ICC guidelines.