Shingles aren't laying flat on drip edge

So, Like everyone else in MN, I have a ton of snow on my roof. This is only my third winter in the house, so it’s the first time I’ve seen the ice dams that form at the bottom of my valleys. I noticed a bit of peeling ceiling paint in the corner room, so I went into the attic to see what was happening. I expected something related to the ice dams, but where I found moisture was a place that there is no dam and no way for water to migrate there. It was literally on the gable and the roof deck adjacent to it. I went back outside and all I could find was that the shingles seem to be detached from the drip edge there. The gap is very small, maybe a quarter of an inch. It extends for about a foot or two. The rain/slush may have been driving from that direction over the weekend. Could rain have driven under the shingles at the top of the gable? Should this gap be sealed, and if so with what?

Any advice would be appreciated. It seems like if it were hot, the shingles might soften, lay flat, and adhere to the drip edge. But its a north facing roof there.

Thanks!

Without pictures we really can’t offer any good advise.

Does your home have an overhang? If so how long

Not really. I’d say that it overhangs the top of the wall by about 4 inches. Just enough for the edging and then maybe an inch MAX beyond that.

Just to be clear, the above photo just shows the overhang. The section with the gap is on the other side of the chimney, 2/3 of the way down. The shingles appear to lie flat on the drip edge everywhere else.

I have to say that water entering a rake edge
Is very unusual.
But a leak vertically under a chimney is very common.

I understand. In this case, the leak was very far down the roof line from the chimney (20 ft?). From the attic, it was apparent that the water entered from the gable side, not migrating up from the from any ions of ice dam on the eave side as I initially assumed. As you can see in the pictures above, the moisture seems heaviest right along the wall. There is also no sign of water anywhere up the wall toward the chimney.

I looked very carefully for any signs of migration, also. The part of the wall towards the chimney is where I was standing since the leak was so close to the eave.

Maybe that can be seen here?

I think you have found the leak.
I just am not convinced it is blowing into the side of the rake drip edge.
I think it is a penatration about 3 or 4 inches from the rake.
While it is not hot, chip up the bottom of a few shingles with a flat bar to expose the fasteners
To see which one missed the wood or driven too deep or almost directly under one of the shingle side seams.