Shed Roof Pitched on Two Sides

Hi all,

I’m planning to build a cabin and I came up with this idea to build a shed roof that would be pitched on two sides:

1. from left-to-right at 1/12 pitch.
  2. from front-to-back at 2/12 pitch.

The rest of the house is pretty straight-forward (basic rectangle 20ft depth, 40ft width). An architect I’m dealing with is telling me that this roof shape/pitch is not doable. I’m scratching my head thinking it’s fairly simple to build but I’m not an expert and I might be missing something. I googled for examples of similar roof ideas - I could not find anything (other than standard shed roofs).

Am I crazy or is this doable? I know the proper answer should come from a structural engineer but I don’t want to involve him yet, until at least initial drawings of the structure are made.

Any help/opinion is appreciated!

P.S - here’s a rough drawing that illustrates the elevations.

Drawings/location would help.

Why do you want to do this? When it rains, the water is going to tend to run off at the one point. Makes the framing more complicated.

2 Likes

Agree with A.D., WHY? I know a couple framing crews that could do that. No guarantee where it will pitch though!

1 Like

Why: At the end of the day, just for the looks of it. There are a few cabins near by with very similar design to the one I’m after, just trying to be a bit different. I’m trying to assess if the hassle is worth it.

Are you going to clear span the building? Is there any snow or wind load? Is it possible the “other cabins” have foundation or framing problems?

If you want to be different, install pink shingles. Adding expense and complexity for the sake of being different, with no other benefit and certainly no functional benefit, is absurd.

1 Like

@Authentic_Dad: I get your point re pink tiles but on the other side that would mean we should all get gable roofs and forget about the rest. Certainly, there’s no need for hips, valleys, etc on most structures. :wink:
@Darkthirty: There is some wind (mostly northerly winds; read - coming from the bottom of the diagram I drew above). Snow load: this is a “dry” part of the NW, ~30 inches of snow per year. And yes, I am thinking of clear-spanning.

I can’t agree with your analogy. Instead, if you want unique in your vicinity, get a hip roof. At least that’s a fundamentally solid design. It’s your money, do what you want. You asked for opinions.

1 Like