Seeking advice for installing very unusual asphalt shingles

I got a bunch of shingles for free to use on my new shed but I’m not sure how much reveal is appropriate and what second and subsequent row trim dimensions to use. They are not standard three tab nor any architectural style that I’ve seen.

They were stored in a barn and have some cracks but have no nail holes so appear old but unused. The overall size is 14 X 40" plus a notch that I suppose is for helping to align them when installing.

Each shingle has three tiered layers: 14" wide; 6-3/4 wide; and 5-3/4. There are two similar but different patterns, both with huge cutouts through all three layers.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am not a pro, just a DIY who bought a fixer house.

https://www.certainteed.com/residential-roofing/products/presidential-shake-tl/

2 Likes

Hopefully you can get them apart. Presidentials are hard to separate if they’ve been sitting a long time.

Thank you, RoofTexas, for the link which provides all the information I need including installation instructions.

Some are them are sticky but so far the ones I’ve tried have come apart with no or very minimal damage. Thank you, Tileman.

For those shingles you need to follow the instructions to the letter, start from the left and the stagger is 5", 15", 5" 15", etc.

You can’t butt cut ends together with these shingles either.

1 Like

Thank you, Axiom, for your installation tips.

1 Like

As Axiom says, use your lefts for your rights and your rights for your lefts. Rule of presidential applications.

1 Like

Thank you. After studying the instructions downloaded from the link by RoofTexas I understand what you mean. Due to rainy weather here I’m keeping tarps over the roof for a few days, after which I hope to get the shingles on.

1 Like

These are a PITA to install, but a great looking shingle. The others have given you great advice.

1 Like

Only thing I can add, if they’ve been sitting for a while I would make sure they seal.
After a few weeks of them being down, I would walk the roof and give a tug to a bunch of them make sure they’re stuck.
If not,bit of roof cement is an easy remedy.

1 Like

Thank you, Patchap, for that tip. I was already concerned about sealing because the weather has been much cooler and rainier than normal here for this time of year. And this shed project is taking longer than I hoped. Putting back on the tarps daily and putting away tools always takes awhile also. One day recently I finished by head lantern at 8:55 p.m.!

Why don’t you just pay a roofer $3-400 to knock that out in about 3 hours and be done with it?

Even though I am a DIY I do hire contractors for projects requiring skills and equipment that I don’t have. I’ve had to wait weeks for them to get to my job. Sometimes I can’t even get one to provide an estimate because they consider my job too small to make it worth their time. My shed is 10 X 16 feet. Also as I mentioned in my original post I got the shingles for free, so a contractor would not profit from marking up the materials, only labor. I am retired so have more time than money, and my free labor is tax free. I don’t have a air nail gun for roofing so I had to hand nail it. But even if it took me 3 times longer to do the roof I figure I’m ahead.

Thank you again for all the replies to my post.

3 Likes

All good points bodyaches and it looks like you aced it. Nice job!