Rookie needs a master

(nothing dirty boys or i will tell ur wives haha)

I was thinking about installing an attic fan. I currently have 2 gable vents (which I dont think is enough) I will be installing new fascia and soffit next spring. My house is very old and there is no soffit air flow. I could take a saw and cut a 1â€Â

First, what’s your INTAKE situation like? No amount of exhaust is going to help if you have a too small intake @ the eaves.

I would say little 2 no intake. The eves are solid wood. I could cut slots in them ever so many feet if that would be better than a fan? A guy at Lowes told me 2 add a whole house fan and that would push my air out the gable vents. He said it would cool the house and the attic at the same time. Then n fall use the attic fan to cool the attic. Wouldn’t u lose a lot of heat in the winter time through the fan though? By the way I have a 2 story house and the kids are always saying how hot it is up their. Luckily I don’t sleep upstairs! LOL
thanks 4 the reply

Insulation and ventilation are the 2 keys here. Yes you do not have enough intake at all.

Hi,

Cutting the slots in the soffit is a good idea.

Roof vents will work without soffit intake.

If you read a piece of paper it does not work.

How long did your last roof last? This is an important question. If your roof lasted the years it was supposed to, then there is enough ventilation for the shingles to last this time to. If you have a moisture problem, then more ventilation will help. Finding the way the moisture is escaping your house into the attic is a better use of your time. Then close off these spots.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Cutting the slots in the soffit is a good idea.

Roof vents will work without soffit intake.

If you read a piece of paper it does not work.

How long did your last roof last? This is an important question. If your roof lasted the years it was supposed to, then there is enough ventilation for the shingles to last this time to. If you have a moisture problem, then more ventilation will help. Finding the way the moisture is escaping your house into the attic is a better use of your time. Then close off these spots.[/quote]

Yes, ventilation from thermal buoyancy will still allow air to escape from the Exhaust Vent products, but they work considerably better with either a Balance or slightly higher amount on Intake Ventilation added to the equation.

Without the proper Balanced Intake Ventilation, the FHA Guidelines and the Code Requirements and the Manufacturers Specifications require the amount of NFVA to be DOUBLED.

Ed

so it sounds like i should skip the attic and the whole house fan idea??? so if i cut the slots in the sofit what would be the lengths? Is there a formula like length of the house x slope x width??? As u can see Im not very bright at this stuff.