Roofing underlayment

Southern California inland
Deciding between two roofers. One uses Owens Corning deck defense and Owens corning weathercock Flex the other uses GAF Tiger paw synthetic underlayment. Trying to figure out which underlayment is better. Any advice for me? Thank you

I don’t think I’d be choosing a contractor based upon which underlayment they propose to use. I prefer using synthetic underlayment because it provides better protection in the event of a pop up storm and it won’t tear out from under a roofer walking on the roof.

It’s going to have 10,000 nail holes in it soon. Like Authentic said it is mainly insurance for the period of time before roofing is completed.

I am not choosing a roofer based on the underlayment. Just asking a question about the two Underlayments

They are both way better than they need to be for their intended purpose, the Tiger Paw probably costs more.

3 Likes

I choose my underlayment based on the pitch.
What is this pitch?
I personally dont use synthetic on lower pitch roofs. Not even two-ply.
Quality “226” Felt is more water-proof than synthetic before and after the shingle installation in my opinion
Better water-proofing around the shingle nail.
Self-seals around the shingle nail similar to ice and water shield underlayment but on a smaller level.

I am ok with synthetic on steeper pitches
(6/12 and above) where the water drains well
And there is no tree overhangs.

1 Like

Rooflover,

Correct again. We did a new construction 4-12 several years back that had synthetic on it for a couple months due to issues on the project. There was an accessible attic area that was a work space commonly used. The GC saw small drips coming off of every plastic cap nail in a rainstorm and said don’t ever bring that sh:t onto my job again. Good felt will always be a better seal unless you are dealing with hot weather. If a contractor tried to force me to use synthetic under a tile roof I would refuse the job.

1 Like

Any reputable roofer or roofing company should be using and selling matching products. If you truly want a full warranted system then always use matching manufacture products. Deck Defense is a great product and if they’re using WeatherLock Flex that’s the best ice and water shield to match. Tigerpaw is a good product but I would stick to the same brand of underlayment as the shingles you are going with.

Only a salesman would say this.

6 Likes

Axiom,

You are a keen observer of BS. Why would I use all matching product lines when I know another component is a better product. I guess if you are trying to meet some manufacturers special warranty requirements but often times that is not the case. Either a salesman or a newbie that can’t differentiate.

3 Likes

Means nothing once the shingles are on.
I use the cheapest synthetic I don’t hate.

I totally agree, with ice/water shield strategically placed where needed. Most important thing for us with synthetic is walkability.

1 Like

No,it is not.warranty across the board is big lie.they will find 10000 workmanship mistakes to put liability on gc.
Where do sales people learn from those absurd pitches :relieved:

You are doing a disservice to the customer if you aren’t using matching products. Do you inform the homeowner when you’re selling the job that if they have a problem with the shingles in the future only the shingles will be covered? When you purchase a new car you expect that manufacture to stand behind everything on the car right? How would you like it if you found out you had to go to a different manufacture because someone else made the part that’s on your car? I get the fact everyone has their likes and dislikes of certain products but don’t scam the homeowners by not telling them they have a warranty but not tell them you used different manufactures. The company’s using inexpensive products are more concerned about putting a buck in their pockets rather than protecting the homeowners. Just my 2 cents, I know you all won’t agree and call me a salesman.

Just a chime but cars have parts made from different companies. The car manufacture chooses the best product from different companies. I do the same. I happen to like the OC venture because it gives 20sq inches of free air vs the 18’s. You’ll find from gaf, certainteed, Owens corning, they all buy private labeled products and put their name on it. Tri built synthetic, made by OC sold by Beacon as house brand. High point ridgevent, labeled by GAF. Rhino underlayments labeled by certainteed as house brand. . Not saying your wrong. Thats your deal. I look for the best product for each project. I also feel some manufactures price their matched products way out of line.

3 Likes

You’re supposed to use underlayment???

1 Like

Does it go vertical or horizontal?

You are a salesman and potentially a condescending sleazeball. It’s already apparent you don’t protect your customers by being more knowledgeable and using the best components available rather than blindly using a system. I, and I’m very confident, most of these regular contributors do not give any misinformation to our customers. My customers are fully informed of the warranties they have and don’t have and they trust our judgment based on our stellar reputation for honesty in our somewhat small market. And we ALWAYS tell them how long, in our best real world judgement, how long their shingles should REALISTICALLY last. Bet you’re a 50 year guy. Take your “scamming customers” rant elsewhere.

2 Likes

And by the way, cost does not factor in my decisions of the accessories we use. Most of the time they actually cost more than other options.

2 Likes

I get the fact most products are private labeled and there are some products made by others that are superior. I’m not disputing any of this. All I’m saying is if I was hiring a contractor I would want to know my warranty covers everything it possibly can. I’ve been through the claim process and I’ve seen homeowners pay thousands of dollars out of pocket to have their roof done because they only had a warranty on the shingles. Let’s be honest, most Americans will take the middle to low bid and trust the contractor doing the work. I’ve looked at many roofs where the homeowner trusted the contractor and they didn’t take the cheap bid. In the end the homeowner was left holding the bag because they had no idea the warranty was only for the shingles. If the shingles fail do you think the owner can and would go after all the other manufacture warranties on the accessories to get that money as well? Do you think those accessory manufacturers would cover their products when the shingles were the one to fail? I’ve also seen customers that had a full system warranty and they paid pennies to get their roof redone.