Roofing Sales Manager Comp Plan ?'s

Hey everyone,

I’ve lurked here over the past few years since getting into roofing. About 6 months ago, I took a job as a salesman for a large established construction & restoration company that services both residential and commercial. There is literally nothing we don’t do. They have done a substantial amount of roofs, it’s nothing new to them, but that has not been a primary focus.

However, today, myself and the owner had preliminary talks about starting a dedicated roofing division of the company, and me being the one to run it & develop it.

Frankly, I have no idea where to begin on negotiating a comp plan. I’m thinking a commission only plan (a percentage of all sales w/ no cap) might be the best way to go. I’m sure some people would want to negotiate a base, but thinking that may limit my overall earning capabilities.

Any thoughts, insights, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You would be a salaried employee and have to do "salaried’ type work at times. I think for a Manager, especially a higher level, the compensation should include some salary. There may be times you have to do work that helps the company but doesn’t necessarily add to your commissions. A Manager needs to be a bigger picture sort of guy.

You want compensation to provide motivation. And there are instances of unintended consequences which is why a combination of salary, commission and bonuses work the best for the type of position you’re looking at.