Roofing Company wants to see insurance estimate. Is that necessary?

I had a roof leak and had a very reputable roofing company come out. They determined the cause of the leak and noticed a lot of hail damage that contributed to the leak. They volunteered to meet the adjuster, but were unable to as the adjuster was running behind and the salesman had to leave. Long story short I received a check on the spot from the insurance company and the amount is well below the cost of a new roof (due to ACV endorsement). I am fine with that and I called the roofing company back to send me a detailed quote (they never gave me one), but he is pushing for the repair estimate, I said no now he wants to meet again to go over shingle options. My question is, if I am paying him the full amount is it to my benefit to show him or any other roofing company the insurance estimate? One other company just asked for the Eagle View report which i provided.

In many cases you will end up paying more than what your insurance is paying you to get a quality job. Also do you have any pics of this hail damage? Its super rare for it to be so bad that it actually causes a leak (I’ve personally never saw it in my life).

You didn’t sign a contract and they didn’t show up to meet the Adjuster as they committed to. Technically, you owe them nothing.

With that said, chances are the full amount estimated by your insurance company is less than what a quality roofing company would quote. I would recommend you get 2 or 3 detailed estimates from reputable, local roofing companies and choose the one you feel most comfortable with.

If a contractor needs to see the insurance company’s estimate, the 2 things are going on. 1: they don’t know how to write one. 2 they’re taking the easy way to let someone else do their work and just collect money. As you previously stated, “the salesman” They are not roofers, just sales people. Roofers have access to the same information as the homeowner and adjuster. If any contractor wants to argue over what a policy covers, ask them to read the ENTIRE policy. Don’t just read the paragraph someone told them about and think it applies to everyone. Toyota would never care about a Nissan warranty would they?

That is a ridiculous statement. Of course, most adjusters don’t want the contractor to advise the homeowner how badly they’re getting screwed.

Actually the contrary. Because I’m an independent, I work for many different firms, carriers, and YES roofers. Several roofing companies hire me because I write more thorough estimates than their sales people. Nice try though.

It’s wasnt a try at all. Simply a statement of fact. You’re welcome to your opinion though no matter how stupid it is.

what do you think the problem is with giving a contractor your insurance estimate?
As a supplementer, it is my job to get MORE money added to your claim. In my experience, insurance estimate line items are not sufficient and are not up to code to put on an efficient, top-notch roof. I use insurance estimates(not exclusively) to determine if and what needs to be added or changed to the estimate to give the homeowner a quality/up to current code roof. Insurance companies tend to under price what is actually deserved or they tend to make measurement errors. It’s important for a contractor to know what exactly the insurance company is and is not paying for. It is against the law for a homeowner to make a profit on a loss. Of course, it is not NECESSARY to give a contractor your insurance estimate. A supplementer can write an estimate with other resources. But in terms of supplementing, I know it definitely helps me to have the insurance estimate so I can negotiate the scope of work with the desk adjuster, I’d be fumbling in the dark a bit without it. I would like to say, if a contractor cant even show up to the adjuster meeting, move on. Find a contractor who is COMMUNICATIVE and RELIABLE. just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

Hey Sarah, you seem like the best in xactimate here and want to thank you for all of the time you’ve put in to help people like me! I was wondering if you have a specific set of macros or something that you use on every claim for supplements.

If it seems like a genuine reputable company definitely let them see ur insurance papers. Your insurance papers should have a scope report with specific line items and almost every single time there are essential items or legal codes missing. These can be easily negotiated usually, ecspecially if these items are code, and will result in the insurance company giving u more money. If the company had a contract “subject to insurance company approval” sometimes the company will in the end just pay right off the contract.

I don’t do estimates for homeowners anymore. If I know you have an insurance claim, i am either your contractor dealing with your insurance company or not at all. I have had so many times that I do detailed estimates only to have mine approved and them go with someone cheaper to save their money, which is insurance fraud, but John Doe homeowner doesn’t know that. If you trust me, I will work for you. But I don’t want to work for you if you don’t trust me enough to show me your paperwork.

@johnvu My estimate for your roof would come in anywhere from $300 to $8,000 higher than your insurance companies estimate, only because I will estimate for everything. And I have a good track record of getting it approved. They want you to take the amount they gave and find someone to do it for that. Find someone you trust and want to do the work, let them handle the supplementing side of it. Ask them specifically what they will be doing and trying to get additionally.

Besides, it usually says “show this to your contractor of choice and if either of you find anything additional, contact us prior to beginning the work.” State Farm’s and many others do.

Man, so many times recently I’ve had signed contracts not get paid, even with my detailed estimate I used to figure the prices. This kind of stuff depends on the market mostly though.