Roofing Co. Left Off a charge

I recently had a new roof installed. I paid the $1600 deposit and paid the remaining $4800 roughly a week later when I received the invoice. I paid the total amount on the invoice.

Last week, I had the same company come out and give me an estimate to replace my windows. I signed an acceptance of proposal and yesterday they came and measured to place the order for the windows. Two hours after he left, the billing manager calls me to tell me she forgot to put a $675 charge on the roofing invoice for the gutter guards and we still owe it, even though we paid the amount on the invoice and she admitted she forgot to add it.

My question is this: is the acceptance of proposal legally binding for the windows? Because if I pay them the $675 I’ll no longer have the full amount for the windows. Can I get out of the proposal?

We’re gutter guards part of the original amount or a charge after the original scope?

Part of the original contract. It’s on the invoice as a line item, she just put the wrong amount on the invoice.

Thank you,
Jessica Temple
615-775-7232

If it was quoted right, you owe for. Clerical mistakes are not an excuse to not pay your bills. I’m sure you know that. If they did the work, pay them. Seriously? If you had written the check for $10.000 instead of $6,000 by mistake, would you expect they should be able to keep the difference?

2 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting I not pay them the amount they are saying I owe. What I am asking, if you had actually read my question instead of getting snarky, was regarding the acceptance of proposal for the second job, which we signed because we paid our other invoices in full. But after paying the additional amount they want, it is going to affect my ability to pay for the second job. I was asking how legally binding those were. Not if I should pay the additional amount. And as a side note, we paid what was quoted to us. They put the wrong amount on the estimate as well.

Thank you,
Jessica Temple
615-775-7232

Look at the proposal. The legal wording inn it will tell you if you can cancel. Most states have a 3 day right of rescission law. If they haven’t put money in, I don’t see why they’d care.