Roof vent vs. wall vent

Hello experts, do you have a preference of a roof vent over a wall vent installed on an attic wall? Is one more prone to leak than the other? Is a roof vent required by code over a wall vent or is either one acceptable?
Thanks.

That’s too vague of a question. There are lots of variables that can be looked at when deciding the best way to vent a particular house. Shape of house/type of roof/amount of ridge line/is there an attic or cathedral ceiling/ect ect. However with that said over 90% of my jobs get vented with a ridge (roof) vent.

2 Likes

Usually wall vents are used on porches that allow the shingles to breathe and avoid blistering… it depends on your code in area of what should be done. Post pictures?

Thanks for the responses. Here is a simplified picture of the type of vents I was thinking about.

Those make no sense and counteract each other. Why not just ridge and eave vents? If mortar is negating the ridge vent option put O’Hagins in.

Is it ok to do a combination of the wall vent and the eave vents and no vent on the roof?

No! The “wall” vent and eave vents won’t allow for full ventilation of your attic. To be successful you need to get a “flow” of air from the eave to the ridge. The air in and the air out should be balanced by utilizing vents with the same square footage on the eave side and ridge side. In my opinion, wall vents are for lazy builders that don’t know how to properly vent an attic.

Thank you. I was thinking a wall vent attached to a solar panel such as a solar powered attic fan vent and position it at a highest possible point of the gable wall.

What you are talking about is a gable vent.

If you are going to put a fan in your gable vent remove the ridgevent, this should work well.

If you keep the ridgevent and add a gable vent & fan you will likely so no improvement.

Hi, sorry about my incorrect use of terminologies. Yes, thank you, it’s the gable vent. Thanks all.