Roof Overhangs measurements

When I create a roof over hang the ridge line isn’t long enough. This throws off all measurements which throws off the estimate. I am using the training manual doing exactly as instructed but they are still wrong.
I use the break tool and drag it as instructed but when done the measurements don’t match.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My tape measure never lies.

3 Likes

Roof overhangs are the amount that the roof hangs over the top of the siding in residential home construction. The siding underneath the overhang is known as the soffit. Overhangs are common in most house designs, providing protection against both wind and rain. The length of the overhang depends primarily on the climate. The longest overhangs are seen in the wettest climates.

At Dream Builders, we advise two feet to be the general maximum length for a typical roof overhang. This will protect a roof from most types of damage. Roof overhangs can extend farther than 2 feet, but beyond this length, they begin to lose structural integrity and require external supports. This can make extensive roof overhangs more trouble than they are worth in all but the harshest climates.