Roof Flashing Standards

Hello, everyone.

Wanted to contribute to the forum in the form of discussion of proper roof flashing. We just recently tackled a project where previous roofer failed to adhere to any standards for flashing. They used mostly roofing compound in place of flashing. The structure had significant siding, fascia, soffit, and deck rotting. A simple reroof took twice as long to complete due to additional steps that had to be taken. And unfortunately, there is not much out there to guide these new roofers on proper technique. I am starting this forum to share my flashing standards and to hopefully get others to share some of theirs.

Most forget to flash fascia to roof intersection. Too much rotting. This photo has fascia taken off due to severe damage. Will be replaced, which should hide most of the flashing. But also will provide protection from wind driven rain that can soak the roof soffit.

Bending and soldering flashing is the way to go.

And deck prep is the basis for it all.

There is a way to accomplish what you did in the 2nd pic without having to cut or solder anything. Its also faster. I know there is a vid floating around that shows how, will look for it later.

Another example of copper step flashing around the chimney to roof connection, with an “engineered” piece on the bottom (bent 90 degrees then gaps soldered to another piece of copper to make leak free 3 sided flashing: one up the chimney side, one on roof under shingle, and last on the bottom of chimney to prevent water leaking over overhang portion of shingle). Probably over thought and over engineered, but after I install counterflashing, rain should not be able to penetrate anywhere there are shingles, even above overhang/drip edge to avoid rotten wood.