At the time that we had our roof replaced we had no leaks and roof and decking were in good condition with the exception of some hail damage. My late husband worked with the contractor and insurance company. A week after the insurance company came to inspect we got our first leak. It was isolated to one area over the dining room. I reported to the insurance company and they re-inspected.
The contractor convinced my husband to go with Ridge vents and he agreed. My husband passed away a little over a year after the work was completed. Several months later, barely 2 years after the roof was installed, I came home from church one Sunday evening to discover a steady drip in the doorway that separated the kitchen and dining room. I called the contractor and he said, it’s the turtle vents, I’ll send someone out. He did and paid an invoice that stated "installed Turtle Vents for $275.
A few mistakes on our part. 1) My husband made the decision based on the sound decking to not tear off the first roof. 2) When the contractor mentioned the Turtle Vents, I should have recalled that my husband had told me that the contractor had suggested to add ridge vents and to “eliminate the turtle vents”. However, I had just lost my husband and my memory was scattered for the next year.
When the next leak sprang up (again over the dining room), I tried to contact the contractor again as I previously had done. I left a voicemail and the next day I got a call from a receptionist/admin/secretary. She abruptly informed me that I was no longer under warranty and even refused to send someone out to tarp the roof. I asked her to have the contractor call me. Still to this day he has not contacted me. Because of the lapse in time, I felt my best bet was to file a complaint with the better business bureau. During this time I began to do my research and began to put the pieces together.
The attic space on this section of the house runs the full expanse of the rear of our home which includes the garage, hallway, kitchen, and dining area. Originally there were 3 turtle vents above the kitchen (confirmed by my insurance paperwork). and dining area, and the garage had 2 gable vents.
When the leaks sprung up after only 2 years the Contractor re-installed 2 of the turtle vents. The gable vents were also not covered up.
So I finally forced myself up into the attic. (I get very nervous with heights and the attic is accessed by a ladder made of odd and end wood in the garage where the ceilings are 20 feet high, in addition, the garage area is the only space that has plywood laid out. Therefore, to get to the area where the turtle vents are you have to maneuver over the rafters). Based on what I discovered, I have now concluded that the when the turtle vents were removed that they contractor failed to cover the holes with any plywood. This is based on the third vent that was not reinstalled.
The contractor is now claiming that my husband decided not to reinstall the turtle vents and that he’d warned him that they could possibly leak and that it wouldn’t be covered under warranty. He also claims that the house had poor ventilation prior to the roofing job. And that we’d had multiple leaks over the dining room and near the fireplace. (The fireplace is in the kitchen and there was not any leaks here until a month ago).
And his final claim is that everything was done to code.
Based on my research my original issues were 1) by not removing the original roof that he’d immediately voided the manufacture warranty (Yes, I know that we were not likely to get 30 years but that is what we thought we were purchasing 2) The attic space was improperly ventilated due to the multiple types of vents installed. 3) The existing roof had never had any leaks and was only 15 year shingles that lasted 21 years. Where in contrast these were 30 year shingles that began to show signs of leakage after only 2 years. 4) My electric bill has increased from average of $250 a month to $400 a month. 5) The turtle vents shouldn’t have been reinstalled. 6) That the job was not done to code, based on the fact that the code basically just referred back to manufacture’s warranty.
However, upon further inspection, I now suspect that the turtle vents were poorly installed (when they were reinstalled) and I also think that the ridge vents were not installed properly. There are three ridge vents.
Can you please look at the pictures and give me some honest feedback and professional opinions? I would greatly appreciate it.
In addition, prior to realizing that I had an issue with poor ventilation, the ceiling in the garage had begun to peel away. Then a few months ago, I noticed that the sheet rock tape in my foyer was beginning to buckle and show signs of peeling. Anyone ever seen where poor ventilation has caused this? I couldn’t find anyone stating this but it seems to make sense that this could happen, especially with the humidity and excessive heat in the attic.
This brings up a whole new issue because I have no way of accessing the attic space over this section of the house. The foyer is 2 stories located at the front of the house. The hatchway in the upstairs linen closet only allows someone to poke their head up and therefore I can’t tell if the ridge vent over this section was installed properly, but from the outside it appears that the turtle vents were never eliminated on this section. Therefore, I am suspecting that the combination of turtle vents, ridge rents, and gable vents are likely causing a ventilation issue, but so far no leaks have appeared over this section.
Sorry this is so long, but I really need so knowledgeable eyes on the pictures of the ridge vents.
Ridge Vent #1 `
Ridge Vent #2
Ridge Vent #3
Turtle Vent not installed
Turtle Vents reinstalled- Inside View
Turtle Vents reinstalled - outside view