Ridge Vent Concern

[quote=“gtp1003”]Roof buster is a sub contractor that knows nothing about proper installation methods. He only knows what the designer tells him to do. What more can you expect from a sub.

My thing ed is 95% of roofing offits throw out lets say 100 feet of ridge vent using shingle vent 2 lets say equaling 1800 inches of ventilations with 6 soffit vents giving only 336 of intake. The problem lies in the unbalance of exhaust to intake. You have seen this im sure. If any thing should not be in balance it would be more intake.

The 150 rule applys only when soffit vents are not being used/or when there is a reasons you can not stagger them in a position where it would be balanced. Example: i seen a home with i think 10 or so soffit vents that flow 9 inches per foot (alum perf panels)and 3/4 of the front of the house could not have soffit vents and with the low slope porch smart vent was really not an option. Then the 150 rule applies when using exhaust. I will bet the house im talking about is been bid with ridge vent and some slick salesman went and convinced the home owner otherwise. I would like to get the job because of where it is at but hey i want to maintain the warranty of the shingles.[/quote]

Ha…a subcontractor…
Im not even gonna get into a argument with you…
All id like to say on the subject is…
The builders i work for build homes in the millions…
i just got off a roof that was a ten million dollar homes custome built…
And they have ten year Warrantys…
Do you actually think they would use a vent that would fail on ten million dollar homes…The answer to the question is no…
The vent we use are more than effecient…
Every new home in the whole entire city uses them…
every roofing company uses them…
Im talking about new homes…i dont do reroofs…
so maybe i should even post on the subject but the fact is reroofers will try and extract every penny from the home owners pocket…
with vents they dont need to ice and water.everything…
So please dont insult me…
im just being bluntly honest…

He does not know any better. We have been down this road 100 times with him over the year ed. Like a majority of contracing companies out there they just throw up something and could care less if it is correct. Yesterday while running around with an IKO rep i was looking at roofs where atleast 50% of them where not ventilated correctly. COme on 15 foot of ridge vent for a 30 square roof. My favorite is ridge vent without soffit vents.

Ed dont argue with buster. He is kinda like gweedo, a legend in his own mind. It is a waste of time. I went round and round with him before and he never listened.

BTW 70 percent of whats built today can support ridge vent. The ridge beam his been removed and allowing ridge vent access for all. Most new homes have atleast 100 feeet of ridge.

Very few are like you and me ed. There are some out there but not many. There are even a few of us on this site.

Fixing soffit ventilation can get rather involved on older houses.
The homeowner is not always willing to pay for this.
Sometimes the only good fix is a cold roof.
We can only do what they will allow us (pay us) to do…
As far as balanced venting goes, it is important but all you can really do is open up the soffits as much as you can and put a ridgevent on all the ridges.
What do you do with hip roofs that just don’t have enough ridge area to balance with the soffits, power vents work well but some people just don’t want them.
Even when the soffits are all open and there is properly applied venting that is no guarantee that is going to work.
I have seen more than one simple roof that had ice dams.
Soffits were open and they had ridgvents, no gable vents to short circuit anything…
Turbine vents fixed one and power vents fixed the others.
The one thing these houses had in common is that they were all in valleys in the woods…
Older Victorians can be rather difficult to get to breath correctly, the soffits are usually plugged up with wood.
And they are all cut up pigs…
These things can usually be fixed with extensive work.
Work that some are not willing to pay for and I am not willing to do for free.

[quote=“gtp1003”]He does not know any better. We have been down this road 100 times with him over the year ed. Like a majority of contracing companies out there they just throw up something and could care less if it is correct. Yesterday while running around with an IKO rep i was looking at roofs where atleast 50% of them where not ventilated correctly. COme on 15 foot of ridge vent for a 30 square roof. My favorite is ridge vent without soffit vents.

Ed dont argue with buster. He is kinda like gweedo, a legend in his own mind. It is a waste of time. I went round and round with him before and he never listened.

BTW 70 percent of whats built today can support ridge vent. The ridge beam his been removed and allowing ridge vent access for all. Most new homes have atleast 100 feeet of ridge.

Very few are like you and me ed. There are some out there but not many. There are even a few of us on this site.[/quote]

lol…legend in my own mind…ha…good…and whats this about the ridge beam taken out?
wow…maybe this shoulb be in a framing forum then not a roofing…
all i have to say is wow…

wow for your 10 roof vents that voided the warranty. Wow since you are a sub and do not spec any jobs yourself. Wow fastest is not the best ever. Wow Your young and dont know much. ANd yes the ridge beams are 90% of the time gone on home we are talking about. ANd if they are not cutting the ridge vent hole larger to 1 3/4 covers the problem and still allows 18 inchs per foot of ventilation and is covered by the man.

If you are going to battle with us, come prepared. Dont go unarmed into battle with witts on roofing buster. You are a sub not an estimator like i am. I specs roofs for a living. And yes i started out by installing years ago. Talking about what you dont know is not good.

GTP,

Some people can be called fools or unknowledgeable about the technical aspects of their trade, but it is only when they open their mouths and put their diminutive thinking to the written word, that they prove the point decisevely.

Ice damming is an event of nature. Proper balanced ventilation “May” minimize the affects and probably will in most situations, but it is not a guarantee for all situations.

All that we can do as learned professionals, is to do the best with the most current technology available. After that, it is a home owners decision to implement the proper recommendations, or not.

Ed

Ok.im not gonna argue anymore…im done…
but please dont insult me by saying im a subcontractor…Alot has change since i left…
im no longer a subcontractor.

Oh yeah…how is the industry doing down there…i heard it wasnt going to well…with the home buying market not doing so well…
just wanted to know how the roofing biz was affected…
i was in seattle a couple weeks ago and our dollar was the same as yours…that was pretty cool…
got to buy some american product for a lower price…
but have fun and i hope the homeowner in this situation is happy…in the end tjhats all that really matters…