Removing solar panels from roof

Can you guys give me some information regarding removing solar panels from a roof. This would include a tear off and reroof. What should I know about removing these. Also if the homeowner wants them removed from the premesis, is this an item that can be reused or should they be disposed of?

Well, if they are in working condition, they could be worth a lot of money. I highly doubt that customer will want them disposed of.
However, if it is so, definitely save them. you can either sell them off on ebay or something or put them on your own roof and generate free electricity. You will however need to buy an inverter, and get an electrician to connect everything together. But it is well worth it.

If they are part of an active, working solar powered system then you don’t want to TOUCH them. Not a bit. Nothing other than maybe deck repairs if they were installed in a way that caused damage.

Beyond that, you should run for the hills… don’t go near 'em. There is a LOT of money involved if you screw something up; here in Austin, one of the most advanced areas in the US for solar energy rebates (our utility is in the top 3 for the rebate program), ONE SINGLE panel will probably cost about $ 1,750.00.

I did a roof about 3 years ago that I was able to get panel remove & re-installation paid for by insurance (it was a hail job) & the solar power co. charged something like $ 400.00 total.

RanchHandRoofing is absolutely correct.

This is a regulated Electrical Power Generating system that, in many places, must be inspected for electrical.

This is similar to them asking you to move the incoming power line to the other side of the house.

Power wires run straight down through the decking. The system must be decommissioned from the INSIDE first. Solar Panels generate a lot of current and can really give you an unpleasant surprise if you touch across the leads.

First Step is to switch off the breaker to the system inverter. Lock/Tag it off or remove the breaker.

Second, Power off the Inverter and disconnect the panel wires from the inverter, being careful to tape/cap off the wires so they won’t touch anything. You can make the panels safer by covering them with black tarps or tar paper to block the Sun.

Third, carefully lower and secure the panels. Mark where all the connections are from/to. A big stand-alone system with all the components, capable of selling juice back to the utility can cost as much as $50,000 (or more). Small ‘shed’ types, capable of charging a 12V RV battery run for as little as $1,200.

Somewhere before the first step, ask yourself if you really want to do this. Ask the homeowner (make SURE they are the homeowner) if they know these systems take 10-20 years to pay for themselves.

Most important: You can’t twist most of them. They will shatter like glass, and you don’t want to be that sorry to bust a $10,000 panel. They now make some flexible types, but you really can’t tell by looking. If they have a frosted, icy look - they are the extremely breakable type.

1 Like

Have the correct people come in and disconnect/drain everything from the inside then bust out a saw-zall and cut them off the roof. Getting them off the roof is a chore since they are usually quite heavy. Not a big deal, i’ve removed a few of them. Good Luck.

If you wanted to play GC on this & add a few bux, call a solar co. & take whatever their quote is, then add 25% to 40%.

The customer may want a single source & not have to make separate contact.

Drawback: If something goes wrong on any part of it, YOU are the one they’ll be calling.

That’s why I only do roofing… IMO, there are plenty of headaches to begin with & when you add sub specialties, you’re asking for trouble.

Then again, I’m thinking of going in on a gutter biz with a good gutter guy out here, so what do I know?

And then pray for alot of hail right Ranch? Then you’ll need to hire a day care or a Nanny. :smiley:

Most older solar panels are for heating water, not generating electricity.

I agree with Ranch though, walk away from this one or simply charge what it takes to do it right.