Question on laying felt

I have a question for the professional roofers.
I have roofed but I don’t claim to be a professional.
Here is my question. When laying felt should you start with it at the edge of the drip cap ot leave it up about an inch?
I am pretty sure I know the answer but I want some professionals to let me know.
Long story on why I am asking this question maybe if you really want to know ask me and tell me how to get a hold of you and I will tell you.
Anyway thanks for the answers in advanced.

felt usually starts at edge of decking.

gweedo.

I usually overlap the ice & water about 3". If it’s an unheated garage I overlap the drip edge about half way!!

I guess I am going to have to clarify things. The company I work for put gutter up on a house, they had a problem with a leak above a door which was under the soffit. They about 3 weeks ago had the roof redone. Now it leaks several other spots. I was asked to look at it cause the roofer said the roof is done right and it is the gutter that is causing the leak. I looked and seen the gutter about an inch up behind the drip cap. I pulled the edge up and seen the top of the gutter was dry. I then noticed that the edge of the roof was not sealed down yet. I looked under the shingles and noticed the felt started about 1 inch from the front edge of drip cap I then noticed the small staples that the roofer used to fasten the drip cap. they weren’t covered by anything. I then noticed the drip cap on top was slightly wet. I told the home owner that I think was is happening is since the shingles haven’t had the time or heat to seal down along the edge and the water is seeping back under the shingles and finding its way to those staples and dripping down onto the soffit.
Now you know more can you tell me if I am thinking correct or not and any other ideas you all might have.

[quote=“lrr50501”]I guess I am going to have to clarify things. The company I work for put gutter up on a house, they had a problem with a leak above a door which was under the soffit. They about 3 weeks ago had the roof redone. Now it leaks several other spots. I was asked to look at it cause the roofer said the roof is done right and it is the gutter that is causing the leak. I looked and seen the gutter about an inch up behind the drip cap. I pulled the edge up and seen the top of the gutter was dry. I then noticed that the edge of the roof was not sealed down yet. I looked under the shingles and noticed the felt started about 1 inch from the front edge of drip cap I then noticed the small staples that the roofer used to fasten the drip cap. they weren’t covered by anything. I then noticed the drip cap on top was slightly wet. I told the home owner that I think was is happening is since the shingles haven’t had the time or heat to seal down along the edge and the water is seeping back under the shingles and finding its way to those staples and dripping down onto the soffit.
Now you know more can you tell me if I am thinking correct or not and any other ideas you all might have.[/quote]

I suspect the felt not having any overhang is the cause.Felt should overhang the dripedge 1-1-1/2"

I don’t know about anybody else, but the shingles are sealing up for me, the day I lay em…lol also could be that the gutter is pushing the bottom row up, causing a gully in the bottom row that the average person would not even notice…always seal the drip edge w/ I&W shield.

Shingles not sealing are not the problem. Add some pics of what you are saying so we can get a better idea on whats going on. I have installed shingles in the middle of winter and never had a leak. So sealing is not the problem. If its leaking already something else is wrong.

I couldn’t have said it any better than that.
Rain rarely backs up under shingles.

Thanks for the replies. I will work on getting a few pics so you all can see what I am talking about. I guess why I was thinking the way I was, was because there was only one small leak until the homeowners had the roof redone now it leaks in 3 spots. The gutter was installed a year ago and the roofer says it is the gutter causing the problem. But what I don’t get is if the gutter was wrong a year ago why didn’t it leak till the roof was redone. To me it seems the roofer just doesn’t want to take blame for cutting a few corners.
I should have said this before because I know it does matter. The pitch of the roof is about a 3or4/12.

Is there a row of starter shingles between the felt and the shingles!!

3 or 4 12 sounds like a 2/12 to me.
and the bottom shingle has to be sealed with tar to the metal. if its not then your roofer is a knucklehead.
what else did he screw up?
staples in edge metal?
outlawed were im at.

gweedo

Thats an interesting thought gweedo I never thought about not being legal using staples. I know when I have roofed before I always nailed my drip edge to the sheeting but I know this roofer stapled it to the top of the facing board. I just figured it as being an easier way using staples kind of like using an air nailer instead of a hammer. I will be stopping over there on Monday and getting a few pics so you all have a better idea of what I am talking about.

I really want to say Thanks to all of you in giving me your thoughts and opinion.

felt doesnt stop leaks and water! ice and water guard does and the drip edge goes on top of the felt not bottom, does metal not sweat, does wood not soak up moisture! :twisted:

Drip edge goes on first at bottom edge then ice and water. Does not water run down hill!!