PVC roof contact with asphalt

While reroofing, alot of tiny asphalt particles got scattered around from the old BUR. The new PVC membrane has numerous specks of asphalt on it now. Topside and underside.

I’ve removed them with citrus cleaner where I could but there are many many more to do and the underside of the PVC is of course inaccessible for cleaning so they will remain.

Asphalt shingles also shouldnt make contact with PVC.
This flat roof has overlap contact with asphalt shingles all around the perimeter.

Should I be concerned with this? Is this swiss cheese roof in the making?

I would think you should be fine, assuming it is a good PVC product. For example, Sarnafil makes/made a fleece-backed PVC membrane called G410 that you used to be able to mop down with asphalt.

keep your lap area clean. may need to use MEK if it gets dirty. Always have the roofers change there shoes from the rip work to the install. Always ! Tar boots are not good on Sarnafil.

No sarnifil here - its mechanically attached durolast.

Little asphalt specks on the membrane. When cleaned off, a permanent discoloration can be seen.
Are these specks going to eat the pvc over time?
I know its not gonna fail next year cuz of it but has the maximum life of this membrane been reduced?

These specks are all over the place including the underside of the durolast.

Also the pvc overlaps asphalt shingles where the flat roof meets the steep roof. Is that a problem?

Hi,

There is not enough asphalt in shingles to do anything to the pvc.

How do you know there are specks on the underside? This does not sound right.

How do you know it will fail next year?

I wouldnt worry them.

I personally saw the asphalt specks on the underside of the durolast. The roof was done in sections. That allowed old tore-off roof debris to blow over to the finished section including getting underneath it.

When I mentioned it to the roofer, he said don’t worry about it.

Heres what durolast factory specs say:

" In the event that the Duro-Last membrane becomes soiled with roofing asphalt, the
affected membrane must be cleaned immediately using approved cleaners and procedures. If the
asphalt cannot be properly cleaned from the membrane, the affected membrane must be removed and
new membrane installed. If this is not practical, overlay the affected area with an approved separator
sheet and install new membrane. Extreme caution should be taken if you are doing a tear-off while
installing the membrane. "

Yup, I think I can add yet another checkmark to an already long list of poor workmanship.

Call the Doro-Last rep. they should be inspecting the job anyway for your warranty. let them know your concerns.

Can we see the pics?

[quote=“ranger88”]No sarnifil here - its mechanically attached durolast.

Little asphalt specks on the membrane. When cleaned off, a permanent discoloration can be seen.
Are these specks going to eat the pvc over time?
I know its not gonna fail next year cuz of it but has the maximum life of this membrane been reduced?

These specks are all over the place including the underside of the durolast.

Also the pvc overlaps asphalt shingles where the flat roof meets the steep roof. Is that a problem?[/quote]

Durolast! No problem, right? Afterall, it’s the World’s Best Roof; or so they claim. :roll:

Next time maybe you’ll use Sarnafil G410 or one of their asphalt resistant PVC membranes. Of course, even those that are incompatible with asphalt can be cleaned with Sarnasolv.

well I guess they could always try to sue God “he has plenty of money” for creating the wind and the real world conditions.

Asphalt and pvc should not come in contact with one another. If the pvc membrane does not have a special underside (separator) it should not come into contact with shingles. They simply need to use a separator that is compatible with pvc and asphalt. Plywood and dens deck are examples of a good seperator but there are other cheaper solutions as well. Accidents happen, but when they do they should be dealt with. A call to the manufacturer is in order. They’ll be the ones that know their product the best and will be able to tell you if the exposure of asphalt in your circumstance is enough to cause any problems and if so what the correct solution is to your problem.