Plastic ridge vent pulled up by wind

I’m in NC and the recent wind storms pulled up about 12 feet of plastic ridge vent from the roof over my porch. Roof 9 years old.

Of course underneath most of the run is just plywood, but at the end of the vent there’s a good amount of framing which I could sink a good screw or two into. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised this wasn’t already done on a spec house. It was just nailed in using the same short nails used along the rest of the vent.

I’m not sure if the best approach here. It seems like it would be hard to re-align all of the nails into all of their holes, and in some places the nail heads have torn through the shingles they’re holding down.

I’m thinking it’d be best to try to use some screws to replace the nails, and try to get them into the existing holes as much as possible? And maybe use some washers where the nail head has broken through the shingles? And maybe use some longer screws at the end to go into the framing? I’m just not sure what type of screw might be best for this.

Any advice is appreciated. I have maybe 30 nails to replace.

(Darn, I can only post one pic)

Personally, I would also replace the entire top row of shingles if I was doing that repair. I wouldn’t trust renailing in the existing holes and I also wouldn’t want to leave those holes open to water intrusion.

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice. So, replace the top row of shingles on the roof itself, on both sides of the ridge? The vent has shingles on it too, of course, which also provide some cover.

What about the idea of screws into existing holes vs nails in new holes? Are screws a no-go for some reason? I’m completely new to working on roofs.

Yeah, I would be replacing the top row of shingles on both sides of the roof itself. I’d want to cover up any nail holes and start fresh.

You can try to screw into the existing nail holes but you will need to use big enough screws that they properly bite into the existing hole. You would also need to make sure the screw doesn’t have too large of a head that it provents the cap shingle from laying properly. For me, trying to get screws to go into existing holes properly would probably take 3x the amount of time and effort of just replacing the top row of shingles and nailing into new holes.

Take IslandRoofings advice.
When you install the new vent
You will be making new holes.
You dont want the new fasteners through the old holes.
Also when you replace the top row of shingles
Roofing cement the holes made through the second row of shingles before you proceed.

They did use a longer nail for that ridge vent.
It is provided by the manufactuer.
It is the longest nail that fits in our roofing nail guns.
Unfortunately, you can see, that these fasteners did not do their job.
Roofers like to use this vent so that they can install it lighting fast.
I think it looks ugly, wimpy, wavy, and the nails barely catch.

So even if i used the same manufacture
Which is GAF ridge roll
I think i would use some longer ring shank hand nails.
The new nails GAF ridge roll provides today appear to be hot dipped and slightly ring shanked. It is an improvement but…

I would buy the gaf ridge roll so i can match it up with existing and use the nails provided in the venting from 3 four foot pieces of
Owens corning sure vent.
The are much longer and better ring shanked.
I guess i could be satisfied by using the nails out of the GAF 4 foot sectional vents also.
They are also pretty ring shanked and long enough.