Perma-Boot

Anybody used or using these regularly for new roof installations? Kind of expensive, kind of ugly but sure looks like they would offer superior performance.

I took a look at them… Haven’t tried one yet… It seems like the length of the pipe would have a high impact on whether it would work or not… If the pipe was a little long then you can easily cut it but it seems like when I looked at them if the pipe was short you couldn’t use it… But the idea definitely seems cool

I use lead jacks only.

That perma boot looks ugly to me, but anything is better than those cheap, leaky 3-in-1s. 90% of the leaks I see are from them.

How much does that thing cost?

Yeah , all I use are lead boots also… the permaboots are $20… not too much more than a 3" or 4" lead boot… I would interested in the permaboot mainly because you dont have to mess with any of the existing shingles(trying to match if/when damaged removing old boot)…
Im talking about repairing a leaking neoprene flashing, i would never use it for a reroof

It looks like the same concept that is behind the capmaster boot covers made by Mid-America.

Both are nice products.
The problem with the perma boot is they do not
make a 4".
The problem with cap master is they only make
the 3 and 4 inch ones.
Ha! I don’t want to mix and match brands on the
same house.

Never even seen them in store before. Around here plumbers bring flashing for new construction, and they only buy Oatey Thermoplastic Base No-Calk® Roof Flashings.

We never let the plumbers supply there crap ones…lead is the way.

I talked to our vendor in Birmingham who has the Perma Boot in inventory. He said they hadn’t gone over well. As someone else had said, they don’t carry it in the large size. Other problem is when the pipe is cut wrong and is either too short or too small, too small being even a bigger problem as you obviously can’t cut it off. We’ve been using the rain cap product to essentially double boot and that has worked well. Just wondering how this product was when I saw it, thanks for the feedback!

To be really usable, the Permaboot would have to have a sliding/telescoping upper section to accomodate shorter pipes, and a mechanism to keep it from lifting/sliding up. This is way too complicated and expensive.

My “secret” for a while now has been to buy double the number of metal-based autocaulks and cut the neoprene top out of half of them. Slide it over the pipe and down against the “real” seal, and you have a throwaway sacrificial seal with a 5-8 year life, which can be replaced for $4 and no shingles. Oatey has a line of replacement collars (e.g. part # 14205 for 1.5 inch pipe) which do the same thing but at a slightly higher individual price and you also keep from having to waste the steel base of the donor autocaulk.

Around here, squirrels eat the lead stacks like candy. Lead is ugly, too, in my own opinion. We switched from all-lead to no-lead a few years ago (including on my own house) and have had no problems.

We’re using the CapMaster by MidAmerica-it looks cleaner than the Perma boot and costs 1/2 as much and the install is super simple. Oh, and the rodents love the lead boots here too in Massachusetts.

Havent had the pleasure…

Yes, the squirrels eat the lead like candy here too. Didnt realize how big a problem it really was untill i failed a final inspection, and then almost failed the next inspection. I dont install lead plumbing flashings here anymore unless the homeowner insist.

Dear Authentic,

I haven’t used them, but I do like the idea of a fast repair without having to tear into the shingles. I guess I’m getting lazy in my old age!

My career-long boot preference has been lead, which is the only thing I’ve found that will last as long as the roofing. And it can be used on electric masts by splitting one side and wrapping it around the pipe… then securing it with a hose clamp.

We do have the squirrel issue like some of the other roofers mentioned. You would think that chewing on the lead would kill them… and maybe it does for all I know.

The best way I’ve found to prevent the chewing is to cover the pipes with a wire care. Home Depot sells aluminum cages that are made to fit in the top of downspouts to keep the leaves out. They work perfect on the pipes. Just secure them with hose clamps or cable ties.

Besides discouraging the squirrels, the cages keep tree frogs out of the plumbing stacks… and the toilet. That will keep the Mrs. happy!

We use lead, and it has always worked great for us. I cannot think of a single leak from a lead boot we installed. So why change?

JW

Miami Beach Roofing
Miami Home Inspection

Come to think of it Fla is a well armed state so your squirrels get all the lead they need w/o chewing up roof jacks!

[quote=“JWRoofsMiami”]We use lead, and it has always worked great for us. I cannot think of a single leak from a lead boot we installed. So why change?
[/quote]

Well, for me, the answer would be “Because leaks are so trivial to avoid (forever) with autocaulks, and they look so much better than lead stacks.”

That last part, of course, is entirely subjective and is my own opinion.

We are looking for an investor/licensing agreement. It has been used in a large roofing company for 7 years. Never had any callbacks. NO SHINGLES TO REPLACE, SUSTAINS ALL WEATHER IN VIRGINIA. Can’t post a pic for some reason but check it out on my website. It’s my username.