Payment Issue - the Roofers POV

The roofing job on my house had issues (gutter damage, landscaping etc.) and the roofer offered $1000 to me for the time and money I will spend to fix them. He sent me an email stating the details of why and what they are giving me. The job is now complete and I am waiting for the payment from the insurance company. The roofer is now saying they will only pay me $500 because they aren’t making enough profit on the job due to unanticipated expenses. I said the email is a contract but they don’t care. They said I must pay them fully as soon as I get the insurance check and then they will pay me the $500. Not sure I will get even that. I said I wanted to get my check when they get theirs (standoff at high noon :slight_smile: ) but they said they don’t swap checks. Can I just hold out $1,000 from the final payment from the insurance company or is there a reason i cant do that? What would you do? Thanks guys!

Bad business. If they said 1,000 it should be the same. Is 500 worth a non referring customer? I don’t know the circumstances but for them to go back on their word shows their character. It wouldn’t matter what my profit margin was on a job, if I said something it would stand. I’ve left a lot more than that on the table to maintain integrity and reputation.

7 Likes

My question is, are you happy with the $1k ? If you are, then tell them you will hold out the money they offered, if not, tell them you will pay them when they make the repairs. I assure you they will have a come to Jesus moment.
On the other hand, much like Tileman, I’ve paid for things that we’ve broken, even things I was accused of breaking, but didn’t. Believe it or not, cleaning up a jobsite, we are blowing off the roof and a piece of a shingle that was laying in the valley, blew down and hit a rose bush limb, twig, whatever you call it. It was about 2ft long, on a huge bush. It broke it off. All of a sudden, this bush got its cutting from generations of roses, all they way back to this thing coming over on the stinking Mayflower. Unbelievable. After some back and forth of me crying bologna, we settled for $200 dollar twig. It still haunts my dreams.

3 Likes

Im OK with the $1,000. Wish my guy was more like you guys. My guy said he would put a lien on my house if i didn’t pay all of it.

A lien doesn’t mean much until it is heard in court and becomes a judicial lien (if you were to lose). There are also potential significant consequences for indiscriminately filing lens when they aren’t justified. I’m speculating the roofer is bluffing about the lien. The email you have is contractual. It would be evidence in a lawsuit and one that it sounds like they would lose. If everything you’re saying is accurate, pay them what you owe them minus the $1000 they agreed to. Let him know filing a lien will result in a counter suit from you which could cost them a great deal of money. I suspect they’ll just go away.

3 Likes

Authentic Dad. Thanks for this advice, really appreciate it. You had good advice for me on my other post during the job “is this good roofing?”. Appreciate your stand on this and the other one. Some things i have read after reading your post back up what you are saying. Im going to pay them minus the $1,000 and take it from there.

As AD said pay them the balance minus the 1000. If they are are not satisfied ask to file a claim for damage with their insurance. They will likely instantly drop the issue because 1000 is likely far less than their deductable.

1 Like

Rooferama,
We have hot summers in our area and my crews are required to pull protective visqueen off lawns and shrubs early and often. We got charged $500 for a burnt 50$shrub over 20 years ago and I never forgot it. I paid it without a whimper.

1 Like

We tore into An open front porch on a rental a precious customer owned in not the nicest neighborhood of the ciry. Trees were totally overgrown trash blowing around Leaves from previous fall not raked yet. We ended up with a 5 layor BUR tear off, Total rotted mess, removed 2 later stucco ceiling, replaced all the rafters and deck. Massive amounts of trash. Our guys cleaned up beautifully. Three weeks later the customer called and said the tenant said we stole all of their mulch. Went back and forth for a week before the estimator drove down with 6 3$ bags of mulch from depot.

1 Like

One man’s trash…

1 Like

MPA,
I would like to hear the end of the story as the tenant going headfirst into the mulch bags, kind of like the lockers or garbage cans he probably got stuffed into in high school.

1 Like