Standing seam roofs are nice. You need to know what you are doing, because they can leak or have problems if you don’t understand metal.

I take it english is not your first language. I did not understand your question.

Was curious to know what kinds of things to look out for? I know that you need a mastic sealant for low slopes. But how about chimneys do you use lead or same color metal? By the way english is fine thanks.

There are so many styles of standing seam, it gets confusing :slight_smile: Each one is slightly different. For the chimney, we always use the same color metal. We always tear off old lead flashings.
Basically, when you have a straight walkable gable, you are golden. It goes by so quickly, it is not even funny. But once you get into any kind of flashing detail, it take VERY long and every thing should be done very carefully. Worst things are non-walking valleys. You have a lot of waste and also need an arm-lift, 'cus there is nowhere for you to stand, and you cant use roof jacks. Skylights/chimneys are also a PITA. Also, if you bid one, don’t forge your scraps (something like 10-15%)
and you SHOULD physically measure each run (not guesstimate from the ground) because when you order it, if your panels are short my like 6 inches, you are screwed - that material is a waste :mrgreen: I always order a few extra inches. Better safe than sorry.
Good luck.

thanks metal for the info on the bidding,did do one for a guy that did that guesstimate, first one i did actually,and found out what not to do by his mistake.Short 8 inches he had to bite that one ouch.Found out about valleys What do you use for benders? I used siding benders, and cut with metal blade in saw.Thanks again for helping I am getting more of customers asking about them.one more thing on bidding do use convert the length times width say 45x25=1125xcost of linaer ft.Just need little more knowledge. Rob


“I know that you need a mastic sealant for low slopes”

I am not sure if you meant to use the word mastic. Mastic to me means a caulking like Henrys. You should use a caulking like Flexible-Seal. Since panels expand and contract with the weather you will want a sealant that is flexible when it cures.


Who is the manufacture of said products? How do they recommend or better yet require you to install it?

We use MBCI. We use there specs as a standard though we do go above and beyond there specs.