Overhang on Brand new roof

I am in need of advice. I had a complete roof replacement in August, 2018. I have had multiple issues with the workmanship (I did research and this company was one of the “best” in the area).

My main concern is there is no overhang of shingles. The shingles stop before the drip edge or are just short of the end of the drip edge. Water drips down the fascia not even touching the drip edge. After rainfalls I have water dripping down my siding, onto my porch, windowsill, basically every where but to the bottom of the slopes. I have a 5 foot overhang over my porch. It is held by support beams extending from the house structure. These beams are covered in metal, water is dripping out from these metal coverings.

Is this an easy fix or does the entire roof need to be redone? I truly appreciate any help!

Photos would help. …

I will take some tonight. Sad to say I do not have a smart phone.
Thank you for willingness to take a look when I do post them.

Are you in Florida by any chance? Zero overhang is code there

Based purely on your description, it sounds like the shingles were not installed to the Manufacturer’s specifications. The photos will help confirm that.

You are absolutely correct. I contacted the manufacturer who in turn provided me with their instructions included with the shingles. The owner of the roofing company stated he does not do it that way (with an overhang as instructed). My worry is he is going to somehow “patch” it to appease me. I worry about damage that may be occurring with every rainfall.

I am in Indiana

I’m gonna reserve judgement till I see pics. Yes, lack of shingle overhang can cause water to run down your fascia but siding/porch/windowsills are most likely gonna get wet regardless of shingle overhang or not.

Here is my personal experience:

1. When we purchased a house, it did not have a drip edge. I installed it after the fact and unfortunately the shingles were flush with the drip edge after it was installed. Well, I thought, drip edge with no overhang should protect the house better than overhang without a drip edge. Fast forward 4 years - the water kept on rolling onto fascia and I think also kept on wicking between drip edge and fascia. The recommendation is to actually leave a small gap between the drip edge and fascia to prevent wicking of any moisture that does end up on the drip edge. Anyhow, the fascia, subfascia, and soffit ended up rotting away.

2. I re-roofed a storage shed on the same property, where I installed the drip edge first, then per manufacturer specs, overhung shingles by 0.5 inch over the drip edge. OC recommends 1/4 to 3/4 inch for my current roofing project with drip edge, so I am sticking with 1/2 inch as a middle ground. I inspected that shed and not a single rotten piece of fascia - paint is like new 4 years later.

So the moral of the story: if you don’t have the drip edge, then you have to have a longer overhang (I think around 1 inch on average). If you have a drip edge, I go for 1/2 inch then. And ultimately, it is better to have no drip edge with overhang than to have a drip edge without one. That is my personal observation. As a disclaimer, I am not a professional roofer, but simply a handy homeowner. Hope this helps, though.

Thank you- there is a drip edge and a gap between the fascia and the drip edge. I see the water dripping down the fascia so in my “lay” eyes the drip edge is serving no purpose. The shingles stop short of the drip edge with no extension. The old roof had a drip edge and an overhang and I never had the issues I am having now. Hopefully when I post pictures the visual will help too.

He doesn’t just get to do it “his way”. Building code dictates materials are installed per the manufacturers guidelines.

I am clearly not good at taking pics. Sorry there are quite a few and hopefully they show my concern. Thank you all again for your help. I do know my house is dirty, no excuses but I was on crutches from March to July.

Also you can see where mold is starting to grow. The windowsill pic is showing where water is dripping backward from the overhang onto the sill and gathering in just that area by the beam. That beam was also replaced because it bowed after they “completed” the roof. It is now bowing again.

The eve drip is correctly installed.
Overhang” is correct.

But because of that bottom beam,
Extra techniques need to be utilized to water tight those beams.
We cant tell by the pics if it is water tight or not.

The overhang is correct according to Florida bureaucrats, everywhere else it is wrong.

Water is seeping somewhere and dripping onto the windowsill. The vertical beam had to be replaced and since water is, I believe, running through the metal that is placed over the horizontal beam. The length of the beam isnt wet just the front which does show in a pic. Then it runs down the window and sits on the sill

I am in Indiana therefore it is incorrectly done?

I posted pics hopefully they are sufficient for advice.

There is clearly something else contributing to the issue. Is there a gap (or extremely small lap)between the bottom of the drip edge and the top of the aluminum fascia? While the book says to overhang the shingles on eves and gables that much water should never getting behind the soffit (I can understand the beam though).

There is a builder here who insists on shingles being cut flush with the drip edges on the gables and overhung on the eves. They also use the same drip edge you have. I’ve probably roofed 100 houses for them over the years. If you are curious about how many leaked because of the lack of overhang on the gables, the exact number is 0.

In 28 years of roofing i have never seen a rake leak ever.
Over hanging the shingles on the rake
When you have rake metal that has its own overhang is stupid.

The point is, your problem isnt with the evedrip that has its own overhang.
It is something else.
More than likely it is the siding/aluminum wrap around the end of the beam which needs caulking/ sealant. Super easy home owner fix.

Or it is bad workmanship in the field some where…
Pretty hard for water to come in near the edge of a rake and come in a window 3-4 feet away horizontally

While I agree overhanging rakes past drip edge isn’t neccesary,i think stupid is a bit of a stretch.
We overhang it half an inch to decrease the amount of water running down the drip. Just takes it past the house a little bit further.