Organic shingles?

The adjuster claimed these were 25 year shingles but I’m fairly certain he is full of it.

They are double layered, large 2 tab. I’m told they are organic.

I’m a general contractor but I’m newer to the insurance claim business, so I’m not sure how exactly to handle this. I called it in after my guys brought it to my attention. The adjuster in charge of the claim is sending someone back out to take a look at the shingle and test the siding for asbestos. The dumpster is a gone But I have shingles that were removed from the dumpster, with pictures of the shingles on the roof, in the dumpster, and being removed.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this type of shingle before? Does this look like a 50 yr shingle?

If it is, my question would be what is the best way to supplement for this price difference?

Owens Corning duration shingles were installed as replacements.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

image image image image

What is the question? Is it organic? I don’t know if that is the question.

Apologies, I edited the post to be more direct.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this type of shingle before? Does this look like a 50 yr shingle?

If it is, my question would be what is the best way to supplement for this price difference?

Owens Corning duration shingles were already installed as replacements.

That shingle is before my time.
Old!
A two-tab design laminated on the exposure.
It wasnt a 20 year shingle.
Id say it was rated longer.

I hope some old timer knows the answer to your question.
Great pics!!! Thank you!

That is an old, old, shingle. I have only ever ran into them under other layers of shingles. I would just be happy with insurance paying for a roof.

1 Like

The longest warranty I have seen on an organic shingle was 30 years,most were 15-25. Those are ancient

Not sure how an adjuster will classify the shingle since the organics decayed on the roof instead of the landfill. The last ive seen where in the late 90’s and buried under another layer. So many companies tried to make a different shingle but just failed. Elk had the sunseal organic, but I think the flute design was different than that single. It’s probably a 20yr organic. They would swell with age.

In the 80’s I had a Bird laminate organic 25yr on my home. It was installed in 79 and by 86 it was crumbling off, every time it rained. It swoll up and looked like a 50yr. Back then, if you didn’t have paperwork and prove you were the original purchaser, no dice on the manufacture warranty.

Don’t have any idea on brand or warranty period. It’s definitely organic, and most carried 15-25 year “pro-rated” warranties. Be glad they didn’t pay to replace with three tab. Save your supliment for something worth while lol.

1 Like

The main manufacturers used organics in my area until 2006/2007.
Nearly every roof I rip is organic,at least one side crumbles into bits. The odd fiberglass roof we rip,is a luxury in comparison

1 Like

I would say 25 year. I don’t believe nor have ever seen a 50 organic. As it turns out, never really experienced a 25 year … They fell apart much sooner.

Thanks for all the input. Truly appreciated