Options on venting issue fix

2 years ago I replaced a section and put on turbine vent and was planning on adding more vents as I work on the other sides. I am working on one side now and decided to look at the turbine vents after it rained. The bearings are already shot and before that hardly spinning anyways. Rain is coming in the attic and on top of the because of the pitch it dripping directly on the the decking and getting under the underlayment. So I have a some option to fix this. Since I only have one side done it wont take to much to do. Attic is 650 to 720 sq. My roof layout is shaped like a cross (so 4 valleys) with a 14-15/12 pitch for most of it but one section is a a little steeper. No soffits vents but might be able to add latter. I would be worried about only a few bays getting getting cooled and some of the rooms getting cold during the winter cause air is now passing the wall/celling. I attached some crap pic of the roof.

Option 1- Take the turbine out, put in a 12x12 plug, replace and add singles as needed, install ridge vent. I know they work better with soffits but they give more even ventilation. They also look better then 4-7 slant vents. May add some gable vents later on or soffits

Option 2- Replace turbine vent with slant vent and then add more. However, I would add some to the side that is already shingled. They are kind of big and any hail/rain noise would sound annoying just like the aluminum siding I have. Also with how steep it is water may leak in one. I find They are only rated for 8/12. May add some gable vents later on or soffits

Option 3- Replace turbine with powered fan that is H.E. with humidity and temp sensors. May add gable vents on. May add some gable vents later on or soffits

Option 4- find way to keep water off the decking and drip on to plastic sheet or bucket. Then just use slant vents.

If the 2nd story window indicates living area, you probably have a pony wall. I would get into that attic area and see if the insulation is stuffed to the deck. If it is, you aren’t going to get much ventilation through there. If the ceiling upstairs is flat at the top, with collar ties or ceiling joist, you can ridgevent that, but you might need those gable vents you spoke of. That pony wall area, can really build up some heat. You might look at a square vent in the siding for that area, or put some air hawk vents on the roof. Its hard to tell without looking at it, but it sounds like you have some experience.

1 Like

All the livable rooms are all flat ceilings. All the spots where a pony wall meats they are all some form of storage room. 2 of them have doors and large, one has a accesses panel that you can crawl in to, the other there is a removable wall. The 2 rooms that have doors the old owner put up insulation the run from the room directly to the attic and plastic on the rafter side and then the celling drywall and the plastic meets there. My only concern is that wall getting cold even with insulation and making the storage room colds. I could always pull down the insulation and run channels. Then after that work on insulating and sealing it off better. I am just trying figure out how to make holes for soffits.

Just cut in and install ridge vent on the main ridge and rear table extension. Take off any other vents that exist and fill holes with decking. That is more than saturated ventilation for that house.

Rear table extension? Are you talking about that small section of roof that about little over 1 1/2’ wide? The is another one one the east side of the house but it is hard to see. That long ridge is about 29’ long I was planning trying to even the ridge vents out across all the ridges. Not throw it all on one ridge.
Also what you think 1/150 or 1/300 ratio?

As for saturated ventilation your talking about air coming from the house? I agree very leaky house from the basement up but I have sealing thing up better since I bought the house. Take me several years but working on it.

Gable extension. Sorry, I post using an iPad.