New Roof - shingles uneven and fishmouthing

Hi,

I am hoping that the experts here can share their thoughts and advice.

It’s been about 10 days since we got our new roof - tear off old 3 tab shingles, instal new Landmark shingles, decking and ventilation checked and declared by roofer to be in good shape.

As seen in the sample pictures, the new shingles appear to be uneven, raised and fishmouthing in many places. The old 3 tab shingles had no such issues.

I was told after installation that the shingles will flatten down ‘in 3 to 4 days’ but that obviously has not not happened.

Besides the performance/longevity concern if they don’t seal properly, it doesn’t look good either the way it is now.

I am wondering at this point what the next steps should be. Any thoughts/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Some other information that I thought might be helpful:

• The shingles were stored on the roof for a few days prior to install along with the synthetic underlayment. Most shingles seemed to be on wooden pallets although one stack of bundles might have been placed directly on the ridge.

• We have had a mixture of sunny, overcast and rainy days prior to the install and since the install, with overnight temps as low as mid 30s and daytime temperatures warming up to between 50 and 70 degrees. Weather is of course now turning colder.

• Day of install was sunny with temps warming up to 60s after being in the 30s overnight.

Thanks for reading and for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Looks normal to me for a November install with lows in the 30’s.

Thanks, to clarify lows were in the 30s overnight, but temps were in the 40s by sunrise, rising into the 50s shortly thereafter and 60s by the afternoon.

Could you clarify what you mean by looking normal? It llooks way worse than the old roof in terms of shingles laying flat and even, except that the shingles are newer.

It looks the way I would expect with the weather pattern you described.

I see, when would you expect the shingles to lay flat, straight and tightly sealed like other roofs in the neighborhood in that case?

Wait, it needs some sun.
The bottom row over your window bumpout though, looks like the drip edge is lifting it up.

Thank you both for your responses RooferOhio and patchap.

I was wondering about that row on the back bump out. I thought maybe they did not put the gutter screens back on correctly, but did did not think about the drip edge possibly lifting up. Thanks for pointing that out.

The roofer is supossed to be coming back in about a week to complete the gutter screens - I guess I will ask him to look at it at the same time.

I am also wondering at what point it becomes more a matter of perhaps improper shingle spacing, nailing etc. vs. not enough sun. How long is a reasonable period of time for the shingles to settle down and seal tight and even?

I would love to hear other feedback while I have a window to have any issues corrected prior to payment.

It is not at all uncommon this time of year for shingles to tie some time to settle down. We work all year here in pa and I try to not install alot of shingles over the winner but sometimes it is unavoidable. Sometimes it takes until the first heavy snow or spring for them to lay completely flat. Trust your roofer give it some time. Depending what type of gutter screens you have they could be pushing up the first row of shingles.

Thank you, MPA. I appreciate the input. This is helpful information to know.

The responses here are starting to put my mind at ease a bit.

In case the shingles do not settle, is this something that the workmanship warranty would cover down the road?

They will lay down, this is easily the most frequently asked question here.

The places that don’t get much sun will take longer, it could be up to a yr but rarely takes that long.

May concern would be the roof install over the deck. Can you ask the roofer what pitch that roof is? Most manufacturers will not warranty shingle installs if their install recommendations are not followed. Here is a GAF link. You can also read on the packaging on any pack/bundle they may have left you. Then you also need to know the pitch of the roof. That is easy enough to get.

I Thank you Axiom and RandyS. It’s good to see everyone thinks that the shingles will seal without issues.

Does anyone see any issues with the fishmouthing or is that expected to resolve itself as part of the self sealing process?

RandyS, I don’t know the exact pitch of the deck porch roof, but the roofer mentioned it was considered low slope, and put Certainteed Winterguard on the entire decking there. Does that address your concern?

I agree with what nearly everyone has said, with one exception. Are the fishmouths being caused by high nails? If you raise the fishmouth and see that the nails are flush with the shingles, everything should be fine. If the nails are not driven completely flush with the shingle, then they would be pushing the shingle up causing the fishmouth. It’s an easy visual check.

Thank you for pointing that out! I will bring that up with the roofer when he is back to finish up the gutter screens and some trim. If high nails, is it a quick and easy fix - that is, drive the nail further in, or could it get more complicated?