New roof, old Gutter Helmet

Looking for some opinions, or advice, I am going to be putting a new roof on my house soon. We have decided to go with the stone coated steel shingles. These are the kind that snap into a starter course and the eves, and also into the next course above it.

The opinions I want is in regard to my Gutter Helmet. And yes it is the Gutter Helmet brand, the big aluminum thing. Now I know that feelings about these vary, but I have had it for 10 years, it was installed before I purchased the home, but in my situation, it performs very well, is still in great shape, and I do not want to replace it with something else or lose it altogether.

So here is my dilemma, I either remove it, install the new roof, and then reinstall the gutter helmet on top of the new steel shingles, or I leave it where it is and install the new roof over, meaning it is going to overlap the gutter hemet, making it pretty much unremovable without destroying it.

I HATE the first way, because, well I think that’s obvious. It requires screwing into it, and there’s no way to cover it with he next shingle, because these aren’t like regular shingles, they have to snap into the course below.

The lesser of the two is just putting the new roof over the top of it. The gutter helmet will still function as it should, but like I said, with the new roof screwed over it, It’s there for good, or I cut it off.

Is there a THIRD option, aside from scraping the gutter helmet for something else that I am not considering?

Thanks

0 Likes

As far as I know the gutter helmet system is not compatible with the Decra system.

Stone coated steel will have moss & algae growing on it just like asphalt shingles, something to think about.

Decra is rather expensive and IMO not that great of a system.

0 Likes

The best looking and performing option will be to replace your gutter helmet with something that sits in the gutter and does not interfere with your roof, such as plygem leaf relief. It will look much better and not void the warranty on your new roof.

You are making a considerable investment installing stone coated steel. You are just going to have to bite the bullet and replace the gutter helmet. If you read the fine print on most systems like gutter helmet, you will need to pay them to remove and reinstall your existing system or warranty will be void. For the cost of doing that you can most likely purchase the leaf relief and pay your roofer to install it.

2 Likes

Leaf relief appears identicle to a product we use in Canada under a different name. It works great, unless you have pine trees.
The helmet style products really are the only thing I have found to work with pine needles.

1 Like

Were it my home, if I wanted to keep the gutter helmet, I’d install the stone coated steel on top of it and take my chances longer term. If you pay gutter helmet to come out, detach it, store it and then reinstall it, you’ll spend more money than it would cost to put on a decent new product.

I also agree with Axiom, I wouldn’t put stone coated steel on my dog house. I assume some local roofer sold you on the proposed benefits. First, if you’re going to do stone coated steel, look at manufacturers other than Decra. You can get as good or better for less money. Check out Roser Roofing Systems. I’d also look at some Steel Shingle products or Synthetic Composite. We’ve installed quite a bit of Brava Tile and have been exceptionally pleased with the results. More money than stone coated steel but if you’re set on spending more, spend enough to do it right or save your money and just get a good quality asphalt shingle.

2 Likes

Not going with Decra, I am going with a different brand. No one sold me on them, i saw them, looked into it, decided it’s what I wanted to. Also, I have no intention of calling Gutter Helmet installers out to take down or reinstall it. There is nothing to it. just a few brackets, and the damn aluminum cover. I could put the thing up in my sleep. should have looked under the panels before posting this question in the first place. would have answered my own question. Anyway, decided to just do without it. took a few panels off and found 1/2 inch of sludge in the gutter. guess it didn’t work as well as I thought, though there was nothing bigger than a dead Japanese beetle in there, so whatever. My roof is only 1 story, easy to get on, and only a 4/12 pitch so cleaning the gutters for awhile until I decide what to put over them is no big deal.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have it all taken care of then. Best of luck with your roof replacement.

0 Likes