New roof did not pass inspection

The vertical bulge in the center of the roof in the last picture looks like something is going on with a sheet of plywood. What was there reasoning for replacing one side and not the other?

My house was damaged by a tornado. The tornado came right over the house and took off shingles and sheathing on the left side. The bad side is what he wants to redo the shingle. Roofer was supposed to inspect the entire roof after shingles were removed but did not. They only replaced sheathing that was obviously destroyed by the tornado. Now he is saying sheathing is loose on the side that had the sheathing replaced. My insurance adjuster inspected the sheathing from the attic afterwards and said it looked ok.

It’s really a shame people do that kind of work for someone who just went through a tornado.

I can’t look back at the thread right now, but believe you haven’t paid them all the money yet. The front center section looks horrible. If I was you I would not pay them another dime. Get your insurance agent and adjuster involved, get local building inspector involved, Contact local gaf rep. If they are considering that acceptable I would be looking for another roofer to fix, or redo their mess.

Radiant Barrier OSB Over Skip Sheathing--PLEASE HELP
GAF Timberline HD Reflector Series "Charcoal" color: Good choice in So Cal or too hot? PLEASE HELP!

If your drip edge is made with an overhang
Your shingles only need to be even with the drip edge.

Does the drip edge on this corner look ok?

No, it should be done in 2 pieces.

First get a clear agreement of what needs to be done and how, second, pay only on completion and on re-inspection of a third qualified party. Put all these things in writing, a demand order to complete and correct. You may want to get a qualified contractor to help with this!

It’s not likely they will do better second time around but who knows?

The metal looks acceptable.
The shingle doesnt.
“Someone”, Not the roofer, lifted up the cap shingle to see underneath and destroyed it.

Also, no reason to overhang shingles covering eve metal that already has its own overhang.

I prefer to overhang drip edge, but it is acceptable to go flush. It should be consistent however.

That drip edge is a hip and in order to install the metal like that they had to push it flat against the facia this will make the metal crooked in relation to the facia.
This is an aesthetic issue and is an indicator that they are poorly trained or don’t know any better.

I am currently working on a house that has very nice & expensive facia, it’s extra thick and hard to find.
I have to replace about 100’ of this facia because the water has been running down the facia for 20+ years ruining it, if the shingle was overhanging like it’s supposed to it would have saved my customer over $1,000.
This is the reason the shingle is supposed to overhang the t-drip by 1/2" - 3/4".

I realize Florida doesn’t allow this and this is the reason Florida needs it’s own special little sub.

Yes. My insurance adjuster lifted the shingle on that corner but it was already split. The underlayment underneath is split too. Did he do that by simply lifting the shingle? He lifted other corners and there are no splits.

I don’t think that drip edge is on a hip. You can see that the shingles are hanging over on the left and cut flush on the right (indicator that its an eve and a rake corner).

Here is a picture of that corner.

you cant lift the bottom hip cap piece to see how it is done
Without destroying it.
It is possible on field shingles.
Did you know that every time your inspector lifted shingles to check how they nailed it, they broke the seal and the warranty for that area?

Honestly I don’t think there is a shingle warranty. I called GAF and they told me if the shingles were not stored, handled, or installed properly then the shingles have no warranty. So I don’t know what if I have a warranty at all. My family member said I have lifetime with him and his company but now since we are in dispute, he has changed that to 10 years. It is all a mess really. I do have another question though. In the morning, once the sun shows shadow on the roof, the steep slope on the front of the house shows all the bulges and they are very easily seen. Later in the day, the bulges and ripples seem to disappear. One morning it was a cold morning (around 40) and this steep slope almost looked like all the shingles were under a big pocket of air. Is there a reason why these bulges are more noticeable at certain times of the day? (edited)

10 year workmanship is more honest!
And you will be real lucky to get that.
Lifetime workmanship is a liar.

I Hate salesman that are telling homeowners lifetime workmanship Warranty.
Selling something they cant provide.
They do it because they are not roofers…
They are salesman.
"Well the manufactuer said"
So what!!
The manufactuer is a liar!!
I know and everybody knows these shingles are not going to last 50 years!!!

Here is a closer pic of how bad the roof looks.

Great visual!
Yeah, you are right!
That one front section should be redone.
Why??
Because their roofers need to learn to NOT install shingles over wrinkled underlayment.

Let me guess, that was the last section done
Early in the morning while felt underlayment was still wrinkled from the nightly/ morning Dew.
And the roofers didnt know to slice through the wrinkles thinking they would hurt the roof.

Now they get to do it over again.

Slice through the wrinkle with your knife or wait untill the sun dries it out flat
Or tarp the roof over night even if no chance of rain
That way, underlayment is flat and unwrinkled in the morning.

yes, my fellow roofers, i know synthetic underlayment never has this particular problem.

This is on all sides of the roof so I just think they didn’t care if the felt was wrinkled. Another roofing company was installing my neighbors roof across the street at the same time. He told me that they watched these guys lay wrinkled felt and even took pictures. But this roofer doesn’t want to get involved in anything legal. It was 30 felt too. My roof inspection report said overlapping shingles. In some places, it looks like they overlapped the shingles on top of the shingles beneath. The roofing contractor said that as long as the roof performs that he doesn’t have to replace anything that doesn’t look good. Can he do this? I did not sign up to pay for a roof that doesn’t look good.

30 pound felt. Oh no.
You just cant let 30 pound underlayment get wet over night from the morning dew.
Because the Sun just does not lay it back down flat.
You have to tarp it overnight or slice through the wrinkles.
It is Great underlayment as long as you install the shingles before dark or tarp it over night.

It is one of the reasons roofers are falling in love with synthetic underlayment.
They never have to worry about this.
Your underlayment is far superior,
It just needs more thinking, more fore thoughts
To make it work.