New metal install issue

A screw in the center of the panel would be an exposed fastener on a hidden fastener system, so by definition it would be wrong.

3 Likes

Yeah you’re technically correct but I’ve seen this done many times. We don’t do this as we use hook eave whenever possible but it isn’t always doable. For example, we put metal on a pile barn that had zero overhangs so the hook eave wouldn’t work… In that case a single neoprene washer screw per panel was necessary.

The first standing seam job i ever did,
I didnt know to seam the bottom of the panel and to hook it to the eave metal.
So I just used two neoprene washer screws at the bottom of the panel.

Whenever I receive a metal roof package they always include a folding tool to fold the panels to hook the drip edge.

The metal panels need to be removed and the roof needs to be planed out over at least 1/2 the distance to the ridge, maybe all the way.

New panels are needed so that they can be correctly installed to hook onto the drip edge.

You basically need a new roof to fix this and I think you should push them to do it.

The company seems to be willing to work with me. I’m not sure how to approach the hook eave issue. I don’t know if I can get them to scrap the current roof and order a whole new set of metal panels, that might be a lot. I can ask if the hook eave is something they do and see what they say; but if they don’t I don’t know where to go from there? However, I do agree with the whole idea of a standing seam roof was so you don’t see screws which is why I was confused when they said they put screws at the end of the panels. Not sure if anyone has had experience with having to ask for a whole redo on their roof but some advice would help if you have. Thanks!

I don’t think they’re going to be too likely to swap out the whole roof when it was installed in a somewhat correct manner. They can and should take the panels off and cut the gutter surface down lower to plane out with the rest of the rafters. At that point they can assess whether or not they have the length to be able to pull the panels 2 in down the roof and still be inside the hip and ridge far enough. While they have the roof opened up, make sure they have the panel turned up where it goes underneath the ridge. Lack of a turn up at the ridge would be a much bigger fault, in my opinion, then not having hook eave.

There is also the option of replacing all the hip and ridge trim with an oversized version, providing the aesthetics don’t bother you.

2 Likes

Yeah the hook eave doesn’t bother me as much as the bow in the metal. So I’m okay with not doing the hook eave portion. They did turn up the ridge ends I know that for sure. I’m not positive but there may be enough room to shift the panels down enough for the hook eave if they are able to do. I’ll find that out on Monday hopefully. The relief looks nice for the most part it’s just these few issues I want to get worked out. I don’t plan on getting a new roof so I’m just trying to get it right before this is all said and done

What happened with your roof… I’m heavily involved at this point. Hopefully they got it all worked out or @ least have a solution in mind.

I’ve been out of town all this week but it sounds like we are going to work through the issue next week. Starting by pulling some panels and checking out the roof line. I talked to a contractor and the roofers and they’re thinking we will end up trimming the fascia down to get a flattened clean roof line like we discussed. When I had my estimate the first time they mentioned that they might have to trim the fascia but I think maybe that step was missed or they thought they didn’t need to. Anyways I’ll keep you updated on how everything goes. I feel pretty confident at this point that we will get everything sorted out and get the appropriate look for the roof. I’ll check back in next week and provide and update. Thanks for all the help!

If you’re still curious Gonzo, the company contacted me Monday and they have a plan to rework the roof and fix the issue. They’re planning on coming out either tomorrow or next week to start addressing the issue.

Good deal, let us know how it goes.