New Construction

[quote=“RooferJ”]Well if you dont know how to sell then I guess you are at the mercy to whatever left over scraps these GC’s want to give you. It dosnt mean a damn thing how much you can put on a day or if you chew nails and spit rust, if you want to build and sustain a real contracting business you have to know all your costs and you cant cover it with that kind of give away chump changs. There are no heros in this trade.

RooferJim[/quote]

Doing new stuff payed 6 figures for years. $100 an hour is decent money right?

Of course I’ve lost insterest in the new construction to an extent due to a four month supply of insurance jobs but when those run out if and when it will be nice to still have some builders.

$50-60 a square labor new roofs 6-8/12’s is pretty good money here in Minnesota. Again, I’m owner operator different from most roofing businesses.

No its not really decent money compare to what you can make. I can roof with the best of them speed and quality wise, but loose money if im working full time on the crew, you make more money working on your business than in your business.
learning how to sell will change everything. I still love roofing though its just my time is more valuable

[quote=“RooferJ”]No its not really decent money compare to what you can make. I can roof with the best of them speed and quality wise, but loose money if im working full time on the crew, you make more money working on your business than in your business.
learning how to sell will change everything. I still love roofing though its just my time is more valuable[/quote]

Don’t really have to sell as most home owners come to me with the intention of having me do there roof. The jobs I may have to sell I give to my brother. Most home owners I’m working with now have insurance checks. Stopped asking home owners how many bids they got after 50% would say, “Just your’s”.

Saw a home owners sign one contract all year so far. A few signed them and mailed me a copy last year but for the most part a hand shake is all that’s needed.

When working hail and wind areas the first thing I tell the home owners is that I’m not going to make then sign anything they don’t want to sign.

I bet I could be going door to door and brew up enough work for five mexican crews but then my name and quality would go down.

Other than my builders that I’ve had for several years I’m only doing full insurance pay roofing. If the house needs gutters, siding, or anything else I pass the work to my friends and family.

I hate being pressured in a sales pitch, pass that along to my customers.

In the opinion of most 4-8 year graduates $100K a year is much better then “decent” money, it’s excellent money!

Doing new construction was able to afford two homes and six vehicles and plenty of toys, that is at “only” $40-60 a square.

Insurance work pays way more than new construction ever could but insurance work doesn’t last for ever.

So I was looking for some my feedback on my new construction estimating experience. I finally got an answer back on my bid and the other contractor came in on 10/12 pitch, cut-up, and 68 squares for $7500 material included. That is like 30 dollars a square. How can you make any money on something like that?

Well Ski we live about what? 30-40 miles apart? At least you and I live in the same universe :slight_smile:
Can’t say that about everyone

I just finshed a 66sq 10/12 new roof and charged $4,700 labor. Not nearly the money to be made doing tear offs in four days but it’s money.

$71 is a lot better than $30 dougger. It’s reasonable.
I’d a bid of $60 in my area, plus drying in.
And that’s labor only. I wouldn’t put the materials out there for that.
Heck I’ve got a Grand Manor coming up— over $400 w/ materials. Soooo…

[quote=“twill59”]$71 is a lot better than $30 dougger. It’s reasonable.
I’d a bid of $60 in my area, plus drying in.
And that’s labor only. I wouldn’t put the materials out there for that.
Heck I’ve got a Grand Manor coming up— over $400 w/ materials. Soooo…[/quote]

Grand Manors, that will be fun!!! Haven’t found a good way to run those monsters. Tried stair stepping and racking and both take time. The Presidential Shake TL’s look really fun to lay.

1. a square out here is too low.

RooferJim

New construction can be good if you can turn at least 30sq a day.Just have ta sh-t n get! slow labor hurts!
seen to many guys get hurt financially because of slow labor.
Crew i used to be on in R.I.,we’d tear-off 40sq and Install 40sq.Job done! My boss loved us.took care of us also!

[quote=“Roofzar”]New construction can be good if you can turn at least 30sq a day.Just have ta sh-t n get! slow labor hurts!
seen to many guys get hurt financially because of slow labor.
Crew i used to be on in R.I.,we’d tear-off 40sq and Install 40sq.Job done! My boss loved us.took care of us also![/quote]

is this in one day?
If so your crew made in the excess of ten gs a day. Thtsa good… in a week you’d make 50 Gs. two weeks 100 gs. in a year orf workin 300 days youd be making 3 million. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Actually, besides wages and salary, you’d, make what was left at the end

i can’t believe you guys are getting $60 and $70 labor for new roofs. in my area many are doing for $25 to $30. 98% of the roofing labor in my area is mexican crews. sincing the housing bust mexican crews are desperate for work and many are doing new construction for $25 a square and reroofs for $45-$50 a square labor which includes tearoffs. my mexican crews are 15 or so and can do a 60 square reroof with tearoff in 1 1/2 days and the work is incredible. this is with all ropes and no toe boards on a 12 to 16 pitch roof. my total cost including all materals and labor for a 30 year shingle is about 130 a square. i try to net around 30 a square but competition is fierce now as the hispanic roofers have flooded the market so many times i can only make $20 a square. i guess up north the hispanic roofers haven’t invaded yet

That is an absolute disgrace. They should all be deported, and you that hire them should be in an orange jump suit.

Actually the low ball white guys trashed the new construction market here years ago. What is left is like gold to others I guess.
When I do get a decent buck for new work, and it isn’t very often, it is usually through print take offs, submitting a proposale and supplying materials.
And yes, the wetbacks are screwing up the re-roof market too. And for the most part their work is just as chitty as the white guy drunken druggies the’ve replaced. But they are more productive I am told.
The blind leading the blind I guess.
And I agree w/ Roofer J. Crocop should be in jail.

I SHOULD GO TO JAIL?LOL IF THE LAZY ASS WHITE BOY WOULD WORK I’D USE HIM. I COULDN’T HIRE A 1/2 DECENT WHITE CREW IN MY AREA IF I PAID $100 A SQUARE LABOR. YOU HIGH AND MIGHTY BOYS WILL LEARN THE RULE OF HISPANICS WHEN THEY MIGRATE TO YOUR AREA. YOU USE THEM OR PERISH I PROMISE YOU. I’D LOVE TO HIT YOUR AREA WITH MY CREW AS I ASSURE YOU I’D TAKE ALL THE BUSINESS. YOU’RE JUST MAKING EXCUSES TO PROTECT YOUR FAT PROFIT MARGINS WHICH ARE ABOUT TO GO BYE BYE

Yes if you hire and exploit illegal aliens then you are a scumbag and should go to jail.

So since almost everyone is losing, we should all cave on the deal and lose too?
Look Dude, I gotta hear about how incredible these SOB crews are- from the public, from ptential sales, construction “experts” etc.

I have found it is easier to give up a % of the market I never wanted anyway; let go of my plans for my business; and finally, I have adjusted, set up a repair division and raised my rates accordingly.

Since the SOB’s have arrived instead of competing with them like I used to w/ the white trash, I have gone upscale.

Break the law and go to jail? LOL What a fucking quaint idea that is

what are you going to do when every contractor in your area is using and they do good work for 1/2 your price? are you going to go out of business or use them? lol its illegal to hire them? my but. if so why is our gov’t turning there back at the border and allowing them in?